Re: Functional GIT on F11 ?

Aaron Gray wrote:
Anyway just done an update and it seem to be working now, this is
marvelous !:)

Heh, magic! :)

My next problem is how to administer priveledges for multiple users
on the same git repository ?

It depends on how fine-grained you want things. If all the users have
ssh accounts on the system, you can just make the repository shared
and add everyone who should have commit privileges to the group used
for the repository. This is how it is done on fedorahosted.org. For
example, if your git repo is at /git/repo.git:

# Tell git the repository is shared
$ git --git-dir /git/repo.git config core.sharedrepository true

# Set proper group ownership
$ chgrp -R gitgroup /git/repo.git

# Make all directories setgid
$ find /git/repo.git -type d -exec chmod g+s {} \;

# Ensure files and dirs are group writable
$ find /git/repo.git/ \( -type f -o -type d \) -a \
\( -perm /u+w -a ! -perm /g+w \) \
xargs chmod g+w

Another alternative is to use gitosis, which is intended to allow you
to let people without shell accounts on your system to push commits
via ssh. There is a gitosis package for Fedora. I've only used it
briefly, so I'm not all that great at explaining how to use it. There
is some documentation on setup and use of gitosis (geared for Debian
and Ubuntu) at:

http://book.git-scm.com/4_setting_up_a_private_repository.html

  • [ANNOUNCE] GIT 1.5.0
    ... GIT v1.5.0 Release Notes ... will make the repository unusable with older versions of git. ... for the next commit), whether the file the contents happen to ... A repository with the separate remote layout starts with only ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [Announce] GIT v1.5.0-rc2
    ... GIT v1.5.0 Release Notes ... and there is no need to perform "repository conversion" if you ... reflog is an v1.4.0 invention. ... reset" to jump to arbitrary commit. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: FreeBSD needs Git to ensure repo integrity [was: 2012 incident]
    ... with the attacker silently editing the repo. ... that our local repository updates match the master. ... And these days, Git is what people and projects are moving to, and ... Every file and commit is checksummed ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: FreeBSD needs Git to ensure repo integrity [was: 2012 incident]
    ... with the attacker silently editing the repo. ... that our local repository updates match the master. ... And these days, Git is what people and projects are moving to, and ... Every file and commit is checksummed ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: FreeBSD needs Git to ensure repo integrity [was: 2012 incident]
    ... with the attacker silently editing the repo. ... that our local repository updates match the master. ... And these days, Git is what people and projects are moving to, and ... Every file and commit is checksummed ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)