Re: Advice for "crossgrading" from 32 bit F11 to x64 ?

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 23:32 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Linuxguy123 writes:

I do a lot of photo processing... things like generating 200 jpgs from
raw files at one go. My laptop has 4GB of RAM but is currently only
using 3GB because I am running a 32 bit kernel.

Why led you to this conclusion? 32 bit Linux is perfectly capable of
addressing 4 GB+ of RAM. You need to install a PAE kernel, which should
already be the case, by default.

If you are not already booting a PAE kernel, just install it.

Sooner or later I want to upgrade to a 64 bit kernel and 8 GB of RAM.
Other than this article, I can't find any information on the subject.

http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/123800

I am looking to do the upgrade WITHOUT reinstalling Fedora. I've done

Someone who has sufficient technical experience and know-how might be able
to pull this off. But, to be perfectly straight, if you have to ask how to
do this, you do not have the requisite know how.

<snip>

But, if all you want is more RAM, all you really need is the PAE kernel,
which I believe can handle up to 16 GB. A single 32 bit process is still
limited to accessing 3 GB max, but overall the system will be able to use up
to 16 gigs. If that works out for you, this is your path of least
resistance.

Thanks for the reply. I installed the PAE kernel.

  • Re: slow (s-l-o-w) install
    ... Now, it's my understanding that somehow, there is 64mb of ram that is not ... attempts to install itself at the top of the memory. ... dragging everything that interacts with the kernel ... As this seems to be a problem in the very latest crop of Intel ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: DELL PowerEdge 2850 and FreeBSD 5.4
    ... When we recompiled the kernel with the SMP and PAE ... 4Gb or RAM and removing the PAE kernel it seems to ... We have yet to successfully get a PAE kernel to run consistently. ... > I have tried to install other versions of FreeBSD. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Kernel panic
    ... CentOS uses an antique kernel, it might not support the chipset on your motherboard. ... I'm most suspecting the RAM as discussed in my other post. ... But it got better as time went on and finally I could run Memtest for over an hour with no errors. ... Then tried the install again and it went without a hitch. ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: Managing to get the 4 RAM GiB recognized easily
    ... I've got 4 GiB of RAM on this computer. ... I had used a bigmem kernel. ... If your computer has a 64bit CPU, you could also install the 64bit ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: instructions for installing via usb with ALTERNATE cd?
    ... 256M RAM is quite little today!!! ... My X31 comes next week;-) ... LABEL install ... kernel" then the kernel appears to load, ...
    (Ubuntu)