Re: Advice for "crossgrading" from 32 bit F11 to x64 ?

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 23:32 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Linuxguy123 writes:

I do a lot of photo processing... things like generating 200 jpgs from
raw files at one go. My laptop has 4GB of RAM but is currently only
using 3GB because I am running a 32 bit kernel.

Why led you to this conclusion? 32 bit Linux is perfectly capable of
addressing 4 GB+ of RAM. You need to install a PAE kernel, which should
already be the case, by default.

If you are not already booting a PAE kernel, just install it.

Sooner or later I want to upgrade to a 64 bit kernel and 8 GB of RAM.
Other than this article, I can't find any information on the subject.

http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/123800

I am looking to do the upgrade WITHOUT reinstalling Fedora. I've done

Someone who has sufficient technical experience and know-how might be able
to pull this off. But, to be perfectly straight, if you have to ask how to
do this, you do not have the requisite know how.

<snip>

But, if all you want is more RAM, all you really need is the PAE kernel,
which I believe can handle up to 16 GB. A single 32 bit process is still
limited to accessing 3 GB max, but overall the system will be able to use up
to 16 gigs. If that works out for you, this is your path of least
resistance.

Thanks for the reply. I installed the PAE kernel.