Re: Installing Windows afterFedora

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 19:19 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
I have managed to go for just under a decade without a Windows machine, but now
I need to have such, and I'd like to add it to an existing machine with a large
enough partition which was used as work area for a project since shipped. The
problem is that while I've put Fedora (and Linux back to SLS and Slackware on
2.2 kernels) on Windows machines, I haven't done it with anything else after,
Linux has always been "the last OS you'll ever need" for dual boot.

I'm not worried about the grub.conf, but the boot sector could be an issue, I
have seen reports that XP with patches and Win7 check the boot sector now (XP at
patch level 3). other than having to rewrite the boot sector, is that going to
be an issue? Any other things I should know?
----
I have seen some reports that certain hardware types require the Windows
bootloader code and if it is overwritten, say by grub, that it puts
Windows into repair mode when booting Windows but I have never
experienced that issue myself and I would think that you wouldn't
either.

You can actually use the Windows bootloader to give you a choice of
which to boot instead of grub if you wish - not really that big of a
deal and there are many examples found easily with Google.

But if you have a Linux rescue boot disk (i.e. the installation DVD),
it's rather trivial to boot into rescue mode, chroot to /mnt/sysimage
and then 'grub-install /dev/sda' to reset the mbr for grub again, but
then you would have to create a grub entry for booting Windows - I have
sample at bottom).

Craig

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

believed to be clean.

  • fixing grub : mbr fix when windows install after linux
    ... "There is not a boot manager screen at all, ... windows but GRUB boot window does not appear. ... "I forgot to install GRUB, I didn't install GRUB in the MBR, I chose ... Fedora but that was not an active primary partition". ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Boot manager for Windows only
    ... And also is GRUB capable of booting any ... > Windows partition or will it always hand over to the XP boot loader? ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: bootsect.bak
    ... The exact function of this file has changed with successive generations of Windows, so this answer may not be correct for all versions. ... These are the most basic, most primitive instructions that make the system start to "pull itself up by its bootstraps" - that is, to "boot" itself by starting from zero. ... The Partition Table has room for four 16-byte entries; each of these tells where one partition starts and ends, plus a few bits of information about that partition, including whether it is the one Active partition on that HDD. ... The contents of the boot sector vary, depending on which operating system wrote it onto the hard drive. ...
  • Re: [opensuse] dual boot issues
    ... I am still unable to boot into the Win7 partition from grub. ... I have set up SuSE machines to dual boot into Windows since SuSE ... Since the Windows 7 boot sector was corrupted during the install of grub ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: New boot error message
    ... for my windows installation to boot up. ... It looks like you have grub in the MBR of the boot disk, ... access drives marked as bootable so it was failing to find my 3TB drive. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)