Re: iptables on FC11

paul van der meij wrote:
I upgraded from FC9 to FC11 (new install) but iptables is behaving strange. My /etc/sysconfig/iptables file shows a number of ports as accept, but nmap tells a different story. e.g. imap port 143 is closed in nmap (and in truce), open in iptables file.
I did use the iptables GUI to configure.

Any idea what I am overlooking.

greetings, Paul van der Meij
What does 'netstat -atn' tell you? If iptables allows connections to tcp 143 but there is no application listening on the port, that could explain what you describe.

Chris

  • Re: Random unprivileged TCP ports below 5000 kind-of open for a fraction of a second
    ... When Nmap (or many ... > other applications, such as Telnet) does a connectcall, the OS is ... > supposed to choose a good souce port to bind to for the connection. ... I saw a familiar "Connection reset by peer" every time the random port ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: Yes, trying to hack a remote control
    ... I attempted a telnet into that port, and it asked for a username/pass, ... and then upload a modified firmware to the remote. ... The latest versions of nmap have a feature whereby you can run scans ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: how nmap can know my firewalled servers ?
    ... UDP or ICMP protocol), it will mark the port as closed. ... descrition, how NMAP determins, if the UDP port is open or closed. ... Try Webroot's Spy Sweeper Enterprisefor 30 days for FREE with no ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: FW: baby pen-test question
    ... I ALWAYS do an nmap sweep of varying degrees. ... As for testing a large network, I primarily base my efforts on the mission ... My first question is about port scanning. ... This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Help understanding NMAP results
    ... >to do with IT) but I have been playing with old computers and Linux in my ... and is set to default DROP any packets ... Went over to a friend's house, and ran an NMAP scan against myself ... You could listen on that port and see what traffic is passing when you ...
    (Security-Basics)