Re: How to check cpu temperature?

Aaron Konstam wrote:

My laptop is a Dell Latitude D810 and the Desktop is a Optiplex GX880.
Neither of them have a BIOS that allows one to turn on or turn off acpi.

You normally do not have a choice of turning on and off acpi - may
have a choice between acpi and apm. You can tell the kernel not to
use acpi, or to use apm with the different acpi and apm options. But
your machines may not support apm.

The variables in the /proc directory are kernel created variables that
have nothing to do with the sensors group of programs. Applying a cat to
them is no different in GNOME than it is in KDE. Just as you would not
expect cat-ing cpuinfo to be different in different Desktop Managers.

True. But the /proc/acpi is created by what the various acpi modules
can detect. If the BIOS does not support something in the standard
way, then it is not going to be there, unless someone has created a
module to support it. This is why you have things like the
toshiba_acpi.ko module.

When it comes to displaying the information, you get it presented in
different forms depending on what program you use.

sensor-detect did not detect any sensors that would monitor any hardware
components on either machine. Yet I cold display the temp of the CPU on
the laptop as described above. it seems clear to me that the kernel does
not detect any temperature sensors on the desktop so I am clear out of
luck.

Did sensor-detect detect anything? Did you let it try all the
different buses it asked about? I have run into sensors that are
"attached" to the ISA bus, even though the motherboard does not have
any ISA slots. (Built in serial/parallel ports are usually ISA.) You
may also find that the same sensor is used by sensors and acpi.

Mikkel

  • Re: How to automatically power-on a PC some time later by programming?
    ... power management is the resposibility of BIOS. ... > ACPI, which is more recent standard on power management. ... > alarm timer from the Windows program. ... In APM, I can be done using INT ...
    (microsoft.public.vb.winapi)
  • Re: How to check cpu temperature?
    ... My laptop is a Dell Latitude D810 and the Desktop is a Optiplex GX880. ... Neither of them have a BIOS that allows one to turn on or turn off acpi. ... or to use apm with the different acpi and apm options. ... have nothing to do with the sensors group of programs. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: 5.1-BETA2 FAILURE on IBM A30p Thinkpad
    ... > These kernel panics still occur with the 1.16 BIOS. ... neither ACPI or APM works. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: FC5, And FC6 wont shutdown completely
    ... depends on just how compliant your BIOS is with the APM or ACPI ... then it might also be worth trying to use APM ... Look for BIOS updates. ... But please explain why only FC6 has this problem? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: power management on laptops
    ... Even if a laptop does have one or both of APM and ACPI it does not mean ... These functions are supplied by BIOS and you ... There are laptops where one of these is rougly sane. ...
    (comp.os.linux.portable)