Re: How to tell IP address of remote machine?

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 16:36 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
"firefox http://whatismyipaddress.com/";
(where I had to wait for a minute or so to get the response).

Perhaps it's overloaded? I just tried it, and it took ages responding.
The other site, responded near instantly.

Do you have your own webspace, somewhere external from your LAN? Does
it run Apache, or some other webserver where you can run commands, and
have the instructions for doing so? You could run your own script to do
the same thing (tell you your IP address). (See the end of this message
for examples.)

As to why there's different answers, there's any number of reasons.
Proxies and NAT devices between you and them, being the first things
that springs to mind. But, in general, there's two addresses (fairly)
easily discovered from the remote end - the address of the computer that
you're browser runs on (may be a LAN address), and your external IP
address.

Things can get confusing if the thing querying names resolves IP
addresses. It may find the IP, resolve the name, then find the IP for
the name. There may be more than one IP associated...

An example script for Apache,
a one-line page saved as address.shtml:
<!--#echo var="REMOTE_ADDR" -->

When requested via any HTTP agent (browser, wget, etc):
wget http://example.com/address.shtml

Returns just the remote IP address, on a single line, and nothing else,
as the page.

NB: You must be allows to run SSI (server side includes) on your
webserver. You must write your page in a manner that the server expects
(typically, using the .shtml suffix).

The Apache manual doesn't list all of the variables that can be
returned, it only lists the extra ones it adds to the CGI environment
variables from ye olde NCSA web server. The NCSA ones can be seen here:
http://hoohoo.ncsa.illinois.edu/cgi/env.html

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

  • Re: Unfiltered Header Injection in Apache 1.3.34/2.0.57/2.2.1
    ... "Expect" header. ... In Apache 2.0.x and 2.2.x, the 417 response will be sent by the server ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Apache/Tomcat Denial Of Service And Information Leakage Vulnerability
    ... mod_jk 1.2 using Apache Jserv Protocol 1.3 ... Tomcat 4.x Server ... A client may connect to the target machine and deliver several requests ... response back over the connection. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • File Corruption
    ... I originally posted this question to the Apache list and was strongly ... This server is dedicated to hosting files for download through http ... I googled and searched the lists but have only found tips regarding speeding ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [PHP] APC & FastCGI != upload progress ?
    ... If need more than one server, Apache pre-forked model may limited. ... Does it push the buffer of blank data that WebKit requires? ... Javascript chunks that flush each COMET AJAX server response. ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: s/key authentication for Apache on FreeBSD?
    ... This is now off FreeBSD, and is VERY httpd/Apache ... I suggest you move it to the Apache lists, ... >>the browser caches what you put in, and sends it every time the server ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)