installing Python 3 on f11?
- From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 01:37:12 -0500 (EST)
(i just asked about this on the test list but it seems that it's
equally appropriate here.)
any problems with installing python-3.1.1 side-by-side on a fedora
11 system, and having programmers invoke it with an explicit reference
just for fun, i grabbed :
unloaded it under my home directory, found out quickly that i needed
to install tk-devel, tcl-devel and libsqlite3x-devel, did that, then
-- following the README -- ran
$ make test
the only glitches were, during the test step, the occasional
diagnostic that a test was being skipped because some resource wasn't
enabled, such as:
test_codecmaps_cn skipped -- Use of the `urlfetch' resource not enabled
beyond that, things seemed to work, after which i'd normally run
# make install
if anyone else has gone down this road, any warnings? and any hint as
to how to get that 'urlfetch' resource? there doesn't appear to be
anything in the configure step that enables or disables that, and that
diagnostic shows up several times, albeit not fatally.
in any event, can installing python-3.1.1 like this cause any grief
with the current system? it's mostly for people who want to start
programming in python, and it seems to make sense to start them off
with python 3.
Robert P. J. Day Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
Linux Consulting, Training and Kernel Pedantry.
Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
fedora-list mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
- Prev by Date: OT Trying to get autosignature to work between Postfix and Amavisd-New on FC9
- Next by Date: Re: F11: Espon Perfection 2480 USB scanner
- Previous by thread: OT Trying to get autosignature to work between Postfix and Amavisd-New on FC9
- Next by thread: Re: installing Python 3 on f11?