Re: Affraid to Upgrade from FC9 to FC12

<rant>
This is the part I hate most about these upgrades. All options result in downtime.
* Bite the bullet and upgrade "production" system. Do a backup first, in case new system doesn't work too well.
Problem: if I run the new system for a month and then decide it's not ready for me yet, all the work I've done in that month will need to be migrated back into the old install.
* Install on 2nd HD/computer to see how it handles/etc. In this case, I have to take time to boot into 2nd environment and play around, then boot back to prod to do my work. Too much time wasted in "new" environment.
</rant>
The question really comes down to how important the constant upgrades really are to each of us.
Does every flavour of Linux upgrade every few days or are some possibly like ubuntu and have a stable kernel and don't upgrade so often. (My opinion from what I've read on list)

There's nothing that says that Fedora has to be cutting edge on every machine.
Golly I have difficulty with upgrades because the kmod-nvidia and kernel upgrades have a time difference and Blender stops working. I could never get akmod-nvidia working successfully.

Your first * problem is solved with a spare hard drive which lets you experiment. What if you spent 10 percent of your time every week on the new op system, a couple of weeks and it's done.

Time, to me, is never wasted in a new environment rather it is my safety precaution.
From what you wrote in the first email, it's not the upgrade but the tweeking that will take your time as it did for your current operating system and if you made notes of successful alterations you have a good starting point for the tweeks.

Roger

  • Re: Forged mail addresses
    ... fully Vista compliant. ... If using XP is going to break our engineers, ... Companies should upgrade when it is in their interest to ... We're talking about the IT environment in which it is being employed. ...
    (rec.arts.anime.misc)
  • RE: Live Upgrade for Linux
    ... > to and then just reboot off the new environment without having to ... Subject: Live Upgrade for Linux ... Maybe I need a little clarification of what Live Upgrade does. ... Then you can apply patches etc to this other boot environment and boot ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: new forest
    ... everyone over using ADMT v2 to the 'in-between' environment, create the new, ... follow the upgrade route. ... simply add the Dells as WIN2003 Domain Controllers. ... > confident it is all working, we will use the original forests dc's as dc's> for the new forest. ...
  • Horrendous Performance on AIX w/ D3 7.4.2
    ... Has anyone else done a migration after running for a long time on an older D3 release including an upgrade to new hardware and noticed "disappointing" performance? ... the machine seems unable to sustain performance much above 3Mb/Sec from within the D3 environment. ... Raining Data support fooled with the machine for several hours and could find nothing wrong with the configuration as it was set up. ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: Things to watch out for during 9.0->9.1 upgrade?
    ... and it is downright dangerous to just do the upgrade. ... second machine until it is proved that it works. ... while it still in a production environment. ... the backup/test machine can be used as live while the old ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)