Re: malingering printers

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
I have some HP inkjets. Sometimes they'll run low on ink, and cups will
disable the printer. After replacing the cartridges, you need root
access to re-enable the printers in system-config-printers.

How can I avoid the need for root access? Is there a "printer enable
thyself" option?

- Mike

I am not sure about system-config-printers, but for the CUPS web
interface, you can set up other user name/group/password
combinations that have administrator access. You can also limit the
type of access specific groups have.

Take a look at the /etc/cups/cups.conf file. You may also want to
read the cups.conf man page...

Mikkel

  • Re: Transistors
    ... tailor-made bogus non-solutions designed to completely avoid the root ... There should be a special word in the English language to identify ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: sendmail
    ... > ok this is a joke right how does forcing a sysadmin on Box A into using root ... > seperate admin from the users who use the machine and that that admin can ... > YOU CAN NOT ASSUME THAT BECAUSE SOMETHING IS ON A PORT <1024 THAT IT IS SAFE ... I'd have been more careful to avoid using a triple negative.... ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: New Solaris machine
    ... Default root of a subtree for user directories. ... that removal is honoured in future updates. ... something that an experienced UNIX admin should avoid at all costs! ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • RE: Safe SSH logins from public, untrusted Windows computers
    ... > disk, the passphrase, if sniffed or recorded, would be useless. ... if I plan on doing any work as root, ... > su-ing would require that I type the password, ... sudo would avoid the password without leaving you open to people trying to ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Write protect access on USB port
    ... I basically want to avoid even the root user (or process with root ... whatever part of the kernel is responsible for that), ... I am aware I can image these drives by using dd and then analyzing the ... I would like to avoid this if possible. ...
    (Debian-User)