Re: F12 upgrade needs more space for /mnt/sysimage/boot

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 00:56 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 01:39:44 -0500
Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

You have run out of space before getting to the anaconda kernel and
initrd. Check /boot for a preupgrade directory. It needs to copy a few
things into it (like the anaconda kernel and initrd, but also a
kickstart file, and some other things). If there is no room for the
necessary items, you are out of luck.

That's the problem. I'm 1.5mb short, according to preupgrade.

You can remove a program that takes up little space (~1.5Mb) so it won't
be upgraded, saving space for finishing your upgrade. Then you install
it again...does it make sense?

Germán.

Have you tried Germán's suggestion of removing unneeded F11 kernels?

I have removed all but one F11 kernel (rpm -e kernel-whatever-whatever) so
there's only one left. And as I said before, I don't see where I can remove
anything else to gain that 1.5mb and still have a kernel that my computer can
boot.

The Achilles's heel of preupgrade is the amount of free space in your
/boot partition.

Indeed. I really don't get it, because I initially formatted that computer
with the F10 rawhide a month or so before the F10 release. And I used the
default disk partitioning that the installer suggested.
Kinda ironic, since

Can you resize your
partitions such that /boot has more space?

I have no idea how to do that. Again, I just used the default F10
partitioning scheme and it's seemed to be working fine up to this point.

Germán A. Racca
National Institute for Space Research (INPE)
São José dos Campos - SP - Brasil
http://gracca.wordpress.com
http://tinyurl.com/SkyTux