Restoring Windows MBR over GRUB stage 1

I have a two disk setup with Windows on /dev/sda and Linux on /dev/sdb

GRUB stage 1 is in the MBR of /dev/sda and boots each OS by directing
to stage 2 on /dev/sdb

I now wish to entirely remove /dev/sdb but continue to boot Windows
from /dev/sda

I guess I need to do one of two things. Either...

1. Get GRUB stage 1 to boot Windows

...or...

2. Restore the native Windows bootloader to the MBR on /dev/sda

The problem is that I have no idea how to do either.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks very much.

  • Re: Restoring Windows MBR over GRUB stage 1
    ... GRUB stage 1 is in the MBR of /dev/sda and boots each OS by directing ... I now wish to entirely remove /dev/sdb but continue to boot Windows ... Get GRUB stage 1 to boot Windows ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: recent kernel upgrades damage mbr
    ... grub and mbr. ... I don't know if this is relevant, but F8 grub (unless the latest update ... and it needs to know where on the disk Grub stage ... Why would you think that upgrading the boot loader would not ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Blinking cursor at failed boot
    ... HD's MBR...which is further evidence of an MBR problem. ... the mbr will boot Linux just fine, but won't boot Windows (nor will ... rescatux). ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: FreeBSD/amd64 on ASUS Transformer T100 kconvertible tablet?
    ... As expected the machine did not boot. ... MBR: MBR only ... Main partition table overlaps the first partition by 34 blocks! ... Logical sector size: 512 bytes ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Boot Manager
    ... >>> No boot manager that usurps the MBR bootstrap area ... >>> will cooperate with a drive overlay manager which also usurps the MBR ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)