Re: control-C and yum update

On 04/01/2010 12:14, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Paul Allen Newell writes:

A quick question which is hopefully just "an education request" ...

While reinstalling f12 on a machine that I "messed up", I was following all my notes and directions and reached the point where the install was successful and it was time to update. I did a "su -l" and then typed "yum update". I realized I had forgotten something and immediately did a "control-C" in the terminal that I had executed the "yum update". To my surprise, it ignored it until it got to the first confirm and then proceeded to kill the process. No problem as the update was stopped but ...

I though "control-C" was an immediate kill of whatever was running and was wondering why yum didn't stop when I tried to kill it.

Probably because if you interrupt packages in the middle of updating, you have an excellent chance of FUBARing your entire system.

This has been a long standing problem with rpm. If you interrupt a long update, you'll end up with both the old and the new version of affected packages installed. That's always fun to clean up.

Don't do that.

You have to hit Crtl-C twice! not just the once, and within' five seconds of each other

  • Re: control-C and yum update
    ... I realized I had forgotten something and immediately did a "control-C" in the terminal that I had executed the "yum update". ... I though "control-C" was an immediate kill of whatever was running and was wondering why yum didn't stop when I tried to kill it. ... Probably because if you interrupt packages in the middle of updating, you have an excellent chance of FUBARing your entire system. ... This has been a long standing problem with rpm. ...
    (Fedora)
  • control-C and yum update
    ... I realized I had forgotten something and immediately did a "control-C" in the terminal that I had executed the "yum update". ... I though "control-C" was an immediate kill of whatever was running and was wondering why yum didn't stop when I tried to kill it. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: control-C and yum update
    ... then typed "yum update". ... immediately did a "control-C" in the terminal that I had executed the ... confirm and then proceeded to kill the process. ... The first break will abort the current download, ...
    (Fedora)
  • RPM Database Corruption
    ... *NEVER* kill a yum update, no matter how long it takes. ... With that out of the way, how SHOULD I have proceeded after trashing an FC5 or FC6 system that had the database so corrupt that yum and rpm couldn't run? ...
    (Fedora)