Re: Which model raid adapter controll card is good for work with Fedora 12 ?

I've had great success with am AMCC 3ware 9690SA on Fedora 10 and 11.
I haven't tried 12 yet. I have a four-disk RAID 5.

http://www.3ware.com/

The 9690 can use either SATA or SAS drives depending on the cabling
you get. It is an 8-lane PCI express card.

You definitely would want to invest in the Battery Backup Unit (BBU),
otherwise write caching is disabled, which makes certain RAID levels
very slow.

The BBU will maintain the write cache in the memory of the 9690 in the
event of a power failure, until power can be restored. When write
caching is enabled, I find write performance to be very good.

There is also the 9650 which is SATA only, and I expect less expensive
than the SAS-capable 9690.

AMCC sold its 3ware RAID division to LSI earlier this year. I haven't
really been following the developments since then, so I don't know
what newer models might be available.

To be completely fair and honest, I should cop to the fact that I used
to be an AMCC 3ware employee: I maintained the Mac OS X driver for
this card. But I wouldn't dream of recommending it if I didn't
consider it completely reliable. I have all of my own precious data
on its RAID 5; I finally set up a home RAID after losing the third
hard drive of my career.

Hope That Helps,

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: 3ware escalade 8006 SATA RAID recommendations; dual boot windows
    ... Doesn't command queing bring SATA much closer to SCSI performance? ... to another manufacturer's SATA RAID controller fail? ... both the disk drive and the adapter card are Frankenstein hardware. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Stable on Supermicro server?
    ... and a mail server. ... The SATA RAID controller, although it provides a 'legacy' option ... 2 ports with 2 removable, ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: How to tell DP35DP BIOS version before buying CPU?
    ... I now have the latest BIOS, my CPU now shows 3.0Ghz and 4GB ... a single SATA HD that I want to load Windows on. ... IDE, RAID or AHCI. ... Which version of Windows are you trying to install? ...
    (comp.sys.intel)
  • Re: Selbstbau-NAS - bitte um Empfehlungen oder Kritik
    ... Windows dank Hyperthreading 4 Kerne), ... Leider wurde er bzw. die Platten ... durchprobiert, weder im SATA, noch RAID oder AHCI Modus wollten ... Hab eine 160 GB Platte am internen SATA POrt für die BS Installation ...
    (de.comp.hardware.laufwerke.festplatten)
  • Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets nest)
    ... How do you share a raid between two systems? ... I remember systems setup that way with scsi in the ... Intel part #82544 in hard drives: ... Considering that USB 1.0 used a shielded cable, it seems unlikely that SATA ...
    (Linux-Kernel)