Re: [OT] perl help on number modification

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Gianluca Cecchi
<gianluca.cecchi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Todo:
1.20 must become 1.2
1.00 must become 1
1.25 must remain the same

Thanks to Dave, Jake and Geoffrey even if my answer was OT... thanks
also for the perl links

For Jake:
the problem is that in your example I think that perl assumes they are
numbers and renders them correspondingly. In my case, I get them as
strings during the workflow, so that perl doesn't manage
automatically...
For example:
perl -le '$foo=1.00; print $foo'
1
[gcecchi@tekkaman ~]$ perl -le '$foo="1.00"; print $foo'
1.00

BTW, it was the correct regex that I missed. Simple to read after you
pointed out, but (at least for me) difficult to catch initially... ;-)
Actually I had to make the job in awk where I then easily got the same
effect with:
sub(/\.?0+$/, "", foo)

Thanks again and hope to repay in some way ...

  • Re: [OT] perl help on number modification
    ... Thanks to Dave, Jake and Geoffrey even if my answer was OT... ... the problem is that in your example I think that perl assumes they are ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [OT] perl help on number modification
    ... On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Gianluca Cecchi ... Jake and Geoffrey even if my answer was OT... ... the problem is that in your example I think that perl assumes they are ... GNU tar 1.20 is available ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Generic programming in C
    ... But I've generally seen a short script in a language like ... you've done in C represents one line of Perl, ... I never got the hang of sed and I find awk very limited (lack of ... bloat of the template for the flexible array container is just 2.3K ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Project proposal -- Forth project organiser
    ... In neither case were AWK and C "formally more ... Perl and Python did displace AWK and C in those niche areas. ... FORTRAN have been displaced elsewhere. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)