Re: recommendations for version controlling /etc on a new f12 box?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
i'm about to install f12 fresh on a new laptop and i thought it
would be fun to version control all of /etc since that's where all the
fun happens. anyone doing that? recommendations? a quick google
found this:

http://aymanh.com/version-control-linux-configuration-files-etc-etckeeper

i'm just curious if there's a strategy that's clearly superior to the
rest, or if this sort of thing is even worth it.

I'm a great believer in RCS for this:
- all on the machine, no need to set up servers
- easy to roll back if needed
- easy to embed version, date, etc, in comments
to be sure you have what you think you do.
- right capability where multiple admins are not changing
things all the time. Or at least the same things.
- if you use the comments capability, leaves a good audit trail.

Tools intended to solve multi-user development are more complex than they need
to be. CVS, git, yady, yada, yada.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>

  • Re: Lets get some t-shirt ideas for .NET and/or Agile
    ... >> yada, yada, yada ... >> I'd like to get a list of fun messages that you have seen, ... >> Ask the customer, Ask the customer, Ask the customer ... Please obfuscate. ...
  • Re: Lets get some t-shirt ideas for .NET and/or Agile
    ... >> yada, yada, yada ... >> I'd like to get a list of fun messages that you have seen, ... >> Ask the customer, Ask the customer, Ask the customer ... Please obfuscate. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)
  • Re: Lets get some t-shirt ideas for .NET and/or Agile
    ... >> yada, yada, yada ... >> I'd like to get a list of fun messages that you have seen, ... >> Ask the customer, Ask the customer, Ask the customer ... Please obfuscate. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • Re: Im Back
    ... (insert blather blather about how you'll be great, and have fun, yada ... Back from my extended golfing weekend and had a fabulous time thankyou. ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)
  • Re: PBS reviews Pontiac Solstice
    ... >> I do not think that the Solstice can possibly match the MX-5 in the pure ... >> fun factor for sports car enthusiasts... ... Would that be its capability of quickly cooking its brakes? ...
    (rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata)