Re: IPv6 configuration basics help

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 09:26 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
I wanna play with IPv6 on my LAN, for self-education purposes. My upstream
is IPv4 only, so, for now, I just one to play with IPv6 on my LAN.

I figured out that, by default, each network interface gets automatically
brought up with a link local addresses based on a MAC address.

From one server, I can succesfully "ping6 -i <interface> ipv6 address" of
another server, without really having to do anything myself. But I have to
explicitly specify the network interface via the -i parameter. I see no
equivalent of the IPv6 routing table, for IPv6, so what steps are needed to
have the system know which network interface to use, for a given IPv6
address?

If I want to assign an explicit IPv6 address to an interface, rather than
the default one, what do I put into
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface>? One of my servers is
headless. Can't run system-config-network, or some other purty GUI, I need
to know what manually needs to be stuffed into initscripts.

Once I wrap my brain around these basics, I think I'll be able to figure out
IPv6 DHCP by myself.

Please have a look at THE IPv6 site for Linux, start of with the
howto... http://www.bieringer.de/linux/IPv6/

That should answer your questions

  • IPv6 configuration basics help
    ... I wanna play with IPv6 on my LAN, ... My upstream is IPv4 only, so, for now, I just one to play with IPv6 on my LAN. ... I figured out that, by default, each network interface gets automatically brought up with a link local addresses based on a MAC address. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Setting up an IPv6 tunnel (was: Re: static IP & DHCP problems on LAN)
    ... server from outside the LAN. ... prefixed tunnel, then you can run a router advertiser in your network ... autoconfigure itself with IPv6 addresses. ... but it's not specific to IPv6 or IPv4. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: ipv6 routing
    ... I'm setting up IPv6 at home. ... I can ping6 just fine. ... From a client on the LAN, ... From the same client ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: Setting up an IPv6 tunnel (was: Re: static IP & DHCP problems on LAN)
    ... server from outside the LAN. ... server. ... prefixed tunnel, then you can run a router advertiser in your network ... autoconfigure itself with IPv6 addresses. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Using IPF on Solaris 10 for NAT on PPPoE link
    ... hme1 is connected to the LAN switch ... link-local IPv6 one, ... pass out quick on hme1 log all ... pass out quick on sppp0 log all ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)