Re: IPv6 configuration basics help

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 09:26 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
I wanna play with IPv6 on my LAN, for self-education purposes. My upstream
is IPv4 only, so, for now, I just one to play with IPv6 on my LAN.

I figured out that, by default, each network interface gets automatically
brought up with a link local addresses based on a MAC address.

From one server, I can succesfully "ping6 -i <interface> ipv6 address" of
another server, without really having to do anything myself. But I have to
explicitly specify the network interface via the -i parameter. I see no
equivalent of the IPv6 routing table, for IPv6, so what steps are needed to
have the system know which network interface to use, for a given IPv6
address?

If I want to assign an explicit IPv6 address to an interface, rather than
the default one, what do I put into
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface>? One of my servers is
headless. Can't run system-config-network, or some other purty GUI, I need
to know what manually needs to be stuffed into initscripts.

Once I wrap my brain around these basics, I think I'll be able to figure out
IPv6 DHCP by myself.

Please have a look at THE IPv6 site for Linux, start of with the
howto... http://www.bieringer.de/linux/IPv6/

That should answer your questions