Re: Why are .thunderbird and .evolution hidden ?

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 19:49 -0500, Marcel Rieux wrote:
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 18:27 -0500, Marcel Rieux wrote:
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Like many good ideas, I'd say that this one has very little chance of
becoming standard practice, given that each Linux app decides for itself
where to put its config files

As I told Ed, there is more than config files in .evolution and
.thunderbird: there is data!
----
imagine that...

and there is data in ~/.kde, ~/.mozilla and many other '.' directories.
That is a long held tradition and certainly not relegated to the 2
applications you are referring to.

Possible. Those are the ones that are causing me problems.

the Mac user with eyes closed should be using a Mac.

This is the kind of reasoning that brings Mac's market share to around
5% worldwide, close to 10% in the US, whereas Linux, also with a *NIX
based OS, has been hovering around 1% worldwide FOR YEARS.

So, when you call TV stations to inquire why they don't support Linux,
they answer: "We support Windows because 94% of our users use it. Hey,
we even support Mas with 5%. But Linux, with 1%... Are you really
serious? Should we lose your time on irrelevant matters?"

In the end, you'll end up browsing the web with the equivalent of Lynx.

Your opinion I've heard a thousand of times.  It's really no use to
repeat it. It's a loser's definition that claims that making things
voluntarily harder for newbies is the way to go. Linux, as we know,
can't go wrong.

Thanks for your contribution, Craig! You make lots of sense.
----
again the myopic vision...

Market penetration:

- cannot be adequately established for Linux because so few computers
are actually sold with Linux on them.

Why is that? In which way would making back-up easier -- and this is
only one problem -- make Linux less popular?

The one thing you can somewhat
measure is web browser usage where the statistics aren't as clear cut as
you want to believe. See...

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

w3schools.com... Yes, this generally gives you an overall picture.

Once again, thanks for your contribution!

- the mission for Linux is to provide the best possible software and not
to get market saturation.

Saturation? At 1%.... for years?

- the issue with TV stations isn't really about Linux or Macs or Windows
at all, it is that they are using proprietary technologies which inflate
their audience's costs because of the licensing fees collected by the
companies that make those technologies. That they are blind

Yup, they are blind. You go teach them.