Re: recommend hardware firewall

Lots of great stuff here

Thanks everyone.

Why use Windows when you can use Fedora

On 04/06/2010 09:18 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 11:57:14 -0400,
Kwan Lowe<kwan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm putting together an Atom-based system for just this purpose. Power
consumption is not as low as a $50 router (and probably never could
be), but I'm adding three NICs (1 dual, 1 single port) so that I can
create a DMZ and LAN and a separate management port. It should come
in at just under $250, which is quite a bit less than a dedicated
router/firewall with similar capability.

Note that you can do this with the $50 routers as well. The hardware in
those cheap boxes is pretty amazing. The two Buffalo routers I have
(WHR G54S and WHR G125) have hardware switchs that do vlans. So with proper
configuration you have vlans supported by hardware. (The default is for
the 4 lan ports to be in the same vlan and to bridge that with the wireless
port.)

Your machine is probably better if you want to run services on the firewall
(such as asterisk or a web server), but for just firewalling and traffic
control, you probably could get by with a $50 router.

  • RE: Hardware/Software Solution for Standalone DSL User
    ... A cable/DSL router is not a real "hardware security solution". ... Port filtering only works if used, if set up properly, and then only if ... the connection is using ports you don't allow through. ... A hardware solution such as a Cisco PIX 501 does more than NAT. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Microsoft urging users to buy Harware Firewalls
    ... > I agree with Microsoft's recommendation for a hardware firewall on all ... Besides protecting against the MSBlaster worm, a hardware ... Then the user finds about port forwarding, and as soon as the user has ... at the router and cannot get to the computers in the local network. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Using Remote Desktop From an SBS Domain
    ... when you tried to RDP while attached directly to a port on your router? ... So if 3389 needs forwarded on the client end too then that is what the ... Hopefully next week I can attempt a connection while my ISP watches the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cost of setting up a network
    ... A router capable of acting as a VPN endpoint for more than one user simultaneously with four Ethernet ports or a switch to suit. ... The rationale for using a server here is basically that the router doesn't need to be able to decide which PC to route the connection to. ... If you are using a router which supports it, you can set up a port-forwarding inbound rule which also _translates_ the port supplied to the receiving port. ... You can use several of these connections to different machines simultaneously. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • How did they get behind my NAT?
    ... this point I panicked and shutdown the VNC service ASAP. ... My question is how the attacker got to my VNC port! ... the internet through the router. ... client connection using local port number 5900 (which was also being ...
    (alt.computer.security)