Re: New boot failure

On Wednesday 28 April 2010, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
My shiney new F13-beta 64 bit install on my HP dv5120u laptop is now
failing, losing all response to a plugged in mouse, the touch pad and
keyboard at about the time it draws the bottom bar on the screen, showing
only the 4 workspace icons and the trash can. No other buttons or menu
icons get drawn.

Same thing happened here.

Are you using f13-beta with compiz? There is a bug in xorg that locks
up the display and keyboard when using compiz. The fix is here:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.testers/80940

or in short grab the relevent xorg files and do a "yum --localinstall"
of them.

yum --localinstall? yum has no such option there, used rpm -Uvh *.rpm after
wgetting the files.

http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/xorg-x11-server/1.8.0/8.fc13/x8
6_64/xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.8.0-8.fc13.x86_64.rpm
http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/xorg-x11-server/1.8.0/8.fc13/x8
6_64/xorg-x11-server-common-1.8.0-8.fc13.x86_64.rpm

-wolfgang

Many thanks. Fixed grub.conf while I was in the level 3 mode too. Rebooted,
looks good. Thanks Wolfgang.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  • Re: New boot failure
    ... keyboard at about the time it draws the bottom bar on the screen, ... only the 4 workspace icons and the trash can. ... up the display and keyboard when using compiz. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: New boot failure
    ... failing, losing all response to a plugged in mouse, the touch pad and ... showing only the 4 workspace icons and the trash can. ... up the display and keyboard when using compiz. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: New boot failure
    ... failing, losing all response to a plugged in mouse, the touch pad and ... only the 4 workspace icons and the trash can. ... up the display and keyboard when using compiz. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: New boot failure
    ... showing only the 4 workspace icons and the trash can. ... up the display and keyboard when using compiz. ... To unsubscribe or change subscription options: ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: more about mice
    ... | Hey, wolfgang, what about this kind of system for our "alt.os CPU" ... But Beth, don't expect you can easy type by just thinking then:) ... keyboard similar to a joystick-driven virtual keyboard yet. ... to control all our electronically environment. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)