Re: Preupgrade??

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

Now Fedora by default installs a 500 MB /boot, which should be
sufficient for the foreseeable future. (Admittedly in free software,
things change rapidly so the horizon of "foreseeable" isn't as long as
you might find in crustier realms.) ;-)

I believe a /boot partition became necessary in F11 because (I adopted
Fedora with the 11 version):

Since Fedora uses LVM by default and GRUB doesn't support that either, in
practice you will need to keep using the Ext3 filesystem for the /boot
partition. This is the recommended setup and is how Anaconda sets it up by
default. To prevent boot issues, Anaconda will not let you format a /boot
partition with Ext4.

(...)

Note that Rawhide (and hence Fedora 12) will support Ext4 on the boot
partition.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ext4_in_Fedora_11#Does_GRUB_support_Ext4.3F

  • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 51, Issue 51
    ... A sneak peek at Fedora 9 ... the machinations of the wicked." ... LVM & retroactively creating encrypted /home partition ... some people here do the default install of Fedora and it ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Help with a little dd damage!
    ... Partition 3 has different physical/logical beginnings: ... Feb 28 20:20:57 morgansmachine kernel: EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery. ... So, fingers firmly crossed, have I managed to copy enough of my hard drive with the first two commands to be able to patch back the catastrophic damage I seem to have done with the last command. ... "By choosing not to ship any proprietary or binary drivers, Fedora does ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: M$ question [OFF TOPIC]
    ... I know this is a fedora group and ... Used partition to partition copy ... This works well however ghost does not recogize specific partition ... In addition to some of the other comments already, what is the bios ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Fedora upgrade to a new partition
    ... I've got a laptop that currently has WinXP, Fedora 14, Ubuntu 9.10, ... Fedora 14 nor the Ubuntu 10.10 can do that. ... What lives in the Master Boot ... GRUB2 is anxious to NOT use a partition Boot Record. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 19, Issue 65
    ... in fedora core3 on 915 intel origenal motherboard how to install xmms patch? ... > An HTML attachment was scrubbed... ... I used Powerquest's Partition ...
    (Fedora)