Re: Fwd: Re: 3D and Nvidia

On 05/01/2010 11:53 AM, Michael Miles wrote:
On 05/01/2010 11:50 AM, Michael Miles wrote:
On 05/01/2010 09:40 AM, hewjr1000@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Help with nvidia 6150. Running f12 attempt to install driver via
yum, get message that kernel I have is newer than one being installed.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andre Robatino <andre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: May 1, 2010 11:10am
Subject: Re: 3D and Nvidia
To: hewjr1000@xxxxxxxxx

On 05/01/2010 11:02 AM, hewjr1000@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

For some reason when I install I get message about kernel being

then one being installed and install halts at that point

What exactly are you installing - kmod-nvidia or akmod-nvidia, and

version of Fedora? Also, how are you installing, and do you already

have the rpmfusion repo enabled? Also, you should be posting to the

mailing list since someone else might know something I don't. I only

have experience using akmod-nvidia.

P.S. I just discovered that what I actually have - a desktop
6150SE -

isn't exactly the same as a Go 6150. But the instructions are

the same for both, so it shouldn't matter.

By the looks of your video card it is a older model and the Nvidia
proprietary 173 drivers are the ones you want.
I do it through ADD/remove software.
Make sure you have RPM fusion repos installed the search NVIDIA
Select the latest Driver 173 and the kernel mod FOR THE KERNEL YOU
Once installed do not reboot and add the this after quiet on the
kernel lines of GRUB.CONFIG. rdblacklist=nouveau

Save the grub.config and reboot

There is a complete write up here

Good Luck

users mailing list

  • Re: [Fedora] Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !
    ... The problem was that installing the new kernel killed nvidia from ... -> There appears to already be a driver installed on your system ...
  • Re: F13 - installation problem (Anaconda + Display)
    ... In the meanwhile, since I'm installing on a SSD, ... After installation I tried to install the nvidia drivers from RPM ... once it's loaded the nvidia driver can't load. ... hurt to leave the kernel parameter there. ...
  • Re: [Fedora] Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !
    ... The problem was that installing the new kernel killed nvidia from ... At what point was the old driver "killed"? ...
  • Re: re nvidia drivers
    ... > I'm still trying to install nvidia drivers. ... > Can anyone explain why the nvidia kernel cannot be seen? ... follow these steps which I will include and build the driver again ... Bob's guide to installing the nVidia driver on Debian ...
  • X gone
    ... Luckily, I had a 2.6.32-3-686 kernel in my system, which, ... nvidia-kernel-dkms and trying to install one of three NVIDIA ... Installing nvidia-kernel-source doesn't help ... this NVIDIA driver component has version 195.36.31. ...