Re: Nvidia upgrade issue - choppy sound and video

On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 07:38 -0400, Gary Waters wrote:
On 05/02/2010 04:40 AM, Gilboa Davara wrote:
On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 19:37 -0400, Gary Waters wrote:
Hi Pat,

I downloaded and installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-195.36.24-pkg2.run. This
hasn't solved the issue.

Gary

Gary,

There's a number of running threads about the nVidia proprietary
drivers. [1]
Have you followed the installation instructions [2] to the latter?

- Gilboa
[1]
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/index.html#02694
[2] http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia

Yes Sir,

I even activated my onboard nvidia 8300 ( Asus M3N78-pro motherboard )
and the video and sound jumps around like crazy with it. I decided to
download a new kernel from "testing" and used it with the nvidia driver.
This did not solve the issue either. Once I switch the old geforce
6200LE everything falls into place.

I wouldn't have switched at if my daughter hadn't purchased a new game
which requires shading.

Which drivers are you using (version)?
$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version

The nvidia driver installation process I use is found right here...first
post:

I printed it up and use it every time I reinstall the driver after a
kernel update.

No need to.
You could switch to using RPMFusion (link above).
If you install akmod-nvidia driver package, drivers get-auto-built every
time a new kernel boots.

Gary

  • Re: Debian 5 installation
    ... Subject: Debian 5 installation ... You don't need the nvidia driver, "nv" is the default and should work ... I installed nvidia proprietary drivers by following Debian wiki steps: ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [SLE] Nvidia / AV Out Not Center
    ... card may complicate the installation. ... Did all the online updates (excluding the nvidia driver) ... Now it does start up just fine If I set it to run off of a monitor. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: 12.1 prety good now
    ... I need a Suse Nvidia package for the ... Stock kernel will not boot but has that corresponding ... for decent nvidia graphics soon from the nouveau driver. ... My installation procedure for new installation is: ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Failed Updates
    ... NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT ... Installation status: Failed ... Error details: Code 80070103 ... This driver was provided by NVIDIA for support of NVIDIA GeForce ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Nouveau
    ... What's wrong with it's perfectly functional, logical and clear TUI installation script? ... Debian packages have dependencies and it the package is dependent on Xorg < 1.5!!!!, ... The nvidia binary driver and associated libraries have such a clean interface that I'm able to run a 32-bit distro with 64-bit kernel and *still* have nvidia perfectly accelerate my video. ...
    (Debian-User)