Re: how to 'rip apart' a rpm.

On Monday 17 May 2010, Rick Stevens wrote:
On 05/17/2010 02:12 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 17 May 2010, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:
On Saturday 15 May 2010, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
On 05/15/2010 11:22 AM, reg@xxxxxxx wrote:
I want to look at the individual files in a src rpm.
How do I 'rip it apart' ??

rpm -qpl src.rpm

should show you a list of the files in the RPM. When you "install"
it, they get installed in your rpmbuild sandbox under: SPECS and
SOURCES subdirectories.

Doing an install doesnt seem to be the answer, It does something, but
I have no idea where the bits and pieces are going.
They are NOT in /usr/src/redhat nor in /root/rpmbuild.

You really shouldn't be playing with source RPMs as root. Look in
your user RPM sandbox:

Then I'd suggest that doing so as a user be made possible. I think its
asinine that I am prevented from building my kernels as a user, simply
because mkinird cannot be made to run if you are not root.

You don't need mkinitrd to build a kernel, you need it to *install* a
kernel, two different operations. After you do the make you can make
modules_install and install with the -n option (if you wish) to inspect
what they will do, or just "su -c "make modules_install modules"
after the build is done.

Clarify here: I can do all that as the user. What I can't do, until
somebody decides to fix mkinitrd, is to run it as the user. That is my
specific bitch. And I think its perfectly valid. mkinitrd simply will
not run for anybody but root.

And this is a bad thing? I, for one, don't want some low-level user
installing a kernel on my machines. I don't want them installing
ANYTHING that's global.

Repeat after me Rick: "I am the only user of this machine". And that will
likely continue until such time as I fall over for the last time.

When you get to the point where you're installing something that will
affect all the users on the machine or the operation of the machine
itself, only an administrator (e.g. "root") should be permitted to do
so. This is the whole point of system security and tools such as "su"
and "sudo".

I am moderately aware that rpms _should_ be installed as root, however this
machine has mdv-2010-x64 on it at the moment, and its software updater has,
in the last 6 weeks, probably updated 2Gb of software on this machine without
even asking me for my user passwd. OTOH, I have had to use root to install
another 2 or 3G of stuff.

When F13 goes gold, I'll probably switch after the infant mortality has been
handled. The F13beta on my laptop looks nice, although I have not attempted
to shoehorn my email system into it yet. Something tells me that may be a
problem because email seem to be wrapped up in evolution now, which is of
zero use to me. IMO it does nothing but add another 1000 points of potential
failure.

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting ricks@xxxxxxxx -
- -
- If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid! -

I like that quote, there is 100% truth in it regardless of whether or not it
fits 'company policy'. ;-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)