Re: Can Windows and Linux co-exist?

I've been trying for some time to set up
a home LAN based on a Linux (CentOS) server,
with both Linux and Windows clients.

For me, I have a Linux server and Windows clients of different versions
(XP - 7). My Linux server is a domain controller and handles network
logons, share mapping and such. In addition it is the gateway to the
Internet, firewall, mail server, web server, content filter and database
server. All of which I use from my Windows clients in various ways.

I'm thinking specifically (at the moment)
of MySQL, openVPN and openLDAP.
Is there anywhere an account of how to set up
a Windows client with a Linux server
for these applications?

I've setup FreeS/WAN (http://www.freeswan.org/) for my VPN. It seemed to
work quite well from Windows and Linux clients alike. I haven't used the
LDAP so I can not comment on that but MySQL works fine from my Windows and
Linux clients also.

---
Will Y.

believed to be clean.

  • Re: Newbie and Debian.
    ... There is no "the Linux equivalent", ... you want to achieve you could use MySQL or PostgreSQL as I said earlier. ... of PostgreSQL and SQL Server. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Looking for multi-website hosting recommendations
    ... own virtual server. ... Install Linux on it and set it up exactly the way ... in my case LAMP (Linux Apache Mysql PHP) ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: Secured Linux box for Windows access
    ... > use a UNC share to the Linux box that would be perfect - this way I'd ... reconfigure the Windows clients. ... out X11-forwarding over SSH (you'll need a Windows X server like Cygwin ... Do you need to provide your Windows clients with VPN? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Two elementary questions on LANs
    ... Also, with linux clients on my dhcpd process, I get this line from linux ... Depending on the DHCP server, it may use the MAC plus some other ... server) is present in Windows clients leases, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Question about Red Hat Linux Enterprise
    ... almost exclusively in Windows and I know almost nothing about Linux. ... a MySQL database, but the site we have is running Windows 2000 Server ... million hits per month is not much, it works out to 1 hit per ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)