Re: F13 install problem (/dev/fd0 error)

Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> writes:
On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 21:45:13 -0500,
"Dale J. Chatham" <dale@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
OK, I was an idiot. I took about 20 minutes yesterday looking for a way
to disable the floppy. Today, it jumped out at me.

Doh!

I might suggest that timing out the attempt to query a floppy and moving
on might be a wise for the developers to do :)

It does time out. It's just a long time out.
There are multiple bugs related to this issue. The current fix (not used
in anaconda) is to not probe floppy controllers. This has the downside
that floppy drives are detected at boot. In you know about modprode you
can make it so your systems will get a working floppy on boot, but for
"normal" users, this change is going to cause some confusion.

Kyle had an idea about how to prevent the long timeouts for improperly
configured or broken bios and still allow systems with floppy drives
to have them detected at boot without doing anything special. I don't
think this has been implemented yet though.

Are floppies still used by most people? I can't recall the last time I
tried to use one. If the floppy hardware is really so broken that it
causes hangs, wouldn't it be better to just not probe for them ever
unless some boot-time flag were given?

-wolfgang

  • Re: installation problems
    ... RH 9 had trashed my Linux partition and rendered my PC unbootable. ... >you can create the floppy from and can be created on a differnet ... >on the CD as the floppy boot image. ... and since flash drives seem to be listed in /proc as scsi devices, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: xPC boot-up from hard drive
    ... The boot floppy was certainly easier... ... It's slow to boot up (and dependent on a floppy disk), ... All in all it means that using xPC Embedded Option with a "normal" PC ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: re boot problem after replacing hard drive
    ... "mikec" wrote: ... It was one of the options available to me when floppy booted up. ... choice between windows xp and fastdetect. ... Firstly the good news, the boot floppy worked, yes I make good boot floppies ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: XP Install Using PXE/Imaging.
    ... You say you can't boot from the CDROM drive, so I suggest getting a USB hub, ... Boot from floppy, run NIC drivers so you can put the machine on the ... Put 2.5" HDD back into desktop and install XP. ...
  • Re: How can I completely wipe my entire system and do a fresh install
    ... Search for floppy image on web site. ... Boot with XP CD. ... >:> to partition and format your drive. ... > Go back to Normal Mode and install SP2 from a CD. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)