Rsync + Windows 7 - backing up to linux server

I have successfully been using rsync to backup my Linux desktop and laptop
for several years.

My current goal is to automatically backup a Windows 7 desktop to a linux
server using rsync. I've found guidance here:

I have installed Cygwin along with the rsync option.

For the Windows 7 machine I've written a short batch file who's critical
line reads as follows:
c:\cygwin\bin\rsync -vrtz -e "c:\cygwin\bin\ssh -i
/home/someuser/.ssh/id_rsa" /cygdrive/b

It almost works as intended. I can run it from the Windows 7 machine by
doubleclicking the file, or running it from a Command window. In either
case, I need to be authenticated by my Linux machine.

I would like to have the script run automatically from Windows 7 Task
scheduler w/o having to sit there and authenticate the process.

The Gaztronics article suggests a process; to that end I've modified the
above line to read:
c:\cygwin\bin\rsync -vrtz -e "c:\cygwin\bin\ssh -i
/home/hanya/.ssh/id_rsa" --password-file=c:\cygwin\secret /cygdrive/b

However, I'm still required to authenticate. And I get the following
rsync: unable to open configuration file "rsyncd.conf": No such file or
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at clientserver.c(498)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at

However, there is a rsyncd.conf file at the both the client and the server

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Much thanks.

Max Pyziur
users mailing list