Rsync + Windows 7 - backing up to linux server

Greetings,

I have successfully been using rsync to backup my Linux desktop and laptop
for several years.

My current goal is to automatically backup a Windows 7 desktop to a linux
server using rsync. I've found guidance here:
http://www.gaztronics.net/rsync.php

I have installed Cygwin along with the rsync option.

For the Windows 7 machine I've written a short batch file who's critical
line reads as follows:
c:\cygwin\bin\rsync -vrtz -e "c:\cygwin\bin\ssh -i
/home/someuser/.ssh/id_rsa" /cygdrive/b
someuser@leeloo:/var/backup/arrakis

It almost works as intended. I can run it from the Windows 7 machine by
doubleclicking the file, or running it from a Command window. In either
case, I need to be authenticated by my Linux machine.

I would like to have the script run automatically from Windows 7 Task
scheduler w/o having to sit there and authenticate the process.

The Gaztronics article suggests a process; to that end I've modified the
above line to read:
c:\cygwin\bin\rsync -vrtz -e "c:\cygwin\bin\ssh -i
/home/hanya/.ssh/id_rsa" --password-file=c:\cygwin\secret /cygdrive/b
deckard@leeloo::arrakis

However, I'm still required to authenticate. And I get the following
errors/noise:
rsync: unable to open configuration file "rsyncd.conf": No such file or
directory
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at clientserver.c(498)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
/home/lapo/packaging/rsync-3.0.7-1/src/rsync-3.0.7/io.c(601)
[sender=3.0.7]

However, there is a rsyncd.conf file at the both the client and the server
end.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Much thanks.

Max Pyziur
pyz@xxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Confused over CIFS
    ... machine I call "Ubuntu" is used to administrate and I use it to make ... nervous about rsync because the files and numberous and small -- even ... which is sharing its Windows ... All of your Windows XP boxes backup to that machine. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [SLE] Windows backups to a Linux server
    ... files he wants to backup should be put somewhere else. ... rsync is still your answer. ... From the linux box write a 1 line script or just ... attributes from windows to unix. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: OT: Imaging Drive for Backup / Restore
    ... True Image has a lot going for it, but I use Ghost even so. ... If this is for home use, rsync is an excellent, free option. ... windows hard drive with rsync, so if your Windows system crashes, you ... when I wanted to experiment with a different Linux distro ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: OT: Imaging Drive for Backup / Restore
    ... If this is for home use, rsync is an excellent, free option. ... windows hard drive with rsync, so if your Windows system crashes, you ... when I wanted to experiment with a different Linux distro ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Syncing Linux FS to Windows
    ... > You could install cygwin and use rsync. ... Syncing Linux FS to Windows ...
    (RedHat)