Re: F13: Latest kernel & NetworkManager updates broke rt2870 wireless connection

On 08/24/2010 10:49 AM, JD wrote:
On 08/24/2010 10:39 AM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
On 08/24/2010 09:54 AM, JD wrote:
On 08/24/2010 09:37 AM, Jim wrote:
On 08/24/2010 11:09 AM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
Seems that the kernel/NetworkManager no longer
can load the rt2870sta module. I tried:

# dmesg
usb 1-4: USB disconnect, address 3
usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
usb 1-4: New USB device found, idVendor=14b2, idProduct=3c27
usb 1-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-4: Product: 802.11 n WLAN
usb 1-4: Manufacturer: Ralink
usb 1-4: SerialNumber: 1.0

# lssub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 14b2:3c27 Ralink Technology, Corp. rt2870 802.11n
WLAN

# lsmod | grep ra
(nothing)

# modprobe rt2870
FATAL: Module rt2870 not found.

# yum reinstall rt2870 kmod-rt2870
(then checked again, nothing has changed)

I checked everything else, the network-scripts and so on
and the configurations seems intact...

So how can I get my connection back
OK. I assume you are using rpmfusion.

So, what do you get when you type

rpm -q rt2870 kmod-rt2870

also, what is the output of

iwconfig wlan0
# rpm -q rt2870 kmod-rt2870
rt2870-2.4.0.1-1.fc13.noarch
kmod-rt2870-2.4.0.1-1.fc13.1.i686

# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 No such device
# iwconfig ra0
ra0 No such device

Notice my previous post, seems that the .ko module needs
to be compatible with the latest version, as the one I am using
is for a previous kernel version - I think this is the culprit.

I think I will need to wait for RMPFusion to generate a new
package or there may me the option to use akmod, dunno.

Where in blazes did you get and boot kernel-2.4 FOR F13????

Your system or yum repo files must be so totally hozed!!!

Huh? Are you reading this post correctly? This is RMPFusion's
way of managing packages and there is a thread about it.

My latest kernel is: 2.6.33.8-149.fc13.i686

Anyway - the problem is SOLVED!

I used akmod-rt2870 and it auto-compiles to the latest kernel,
and requires a reboot.

My wireless connection is baaaaaaaack! :P