Re: X won't start on F14 - I've run out of ideas!

Things I've tried:
I removed the nVidia driver and de-blacklisted nouveau in grub.conf

How did you originally install the nVidia driver in the first place? If
you used the shell archive files (pkg.run) downloaded from nvidia.com,
this also modifies some of your library files that will make it pretty
much impossible to ever go back to nouveau after that. If you installed
it this way, then you need to re-run the pkg.run file every time there
is a kernel update. You do have to ensure that nouveau is not loaded
when you do this.

I can't say what happens if instead you installed the nVidia driver from
rpmfusion packages.

As for why X won't start: have you looked in the logs?

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

--Greg

  • Re: Bug 648732 =?UTF-8?B?4oCTIEludGVsIHdpcmVsZXNzIGJyb2tlbiBvbiAx?= =?UTF-8?B?MW4gZm9yIG1hbn
    ... If he has done these then does anyone know how nouveau could still get ... You should now be using the nvidia driver at runlevel 3. ... Run 'yum install iwl4965-firmware' ... Lawrence Graves All things are workable but don't all things work. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Bug 648732 =?UTF-8?B?4oCTIEludGVsIHdpcmVsZXNzIGJyb2tlbiBvbiAx?= =?UTF-8?B?MW4gZm9yIG1hbn
    ... If he has done these then does anyone know how nouveau could still get ... Nouveau probably got loaded because the initramfs is still the old one. ... You should now be using the nvidia driver at runlevel 3. ... Run 'yum install iwl4965-firmware' ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: google-earth anybody?
    ... I first tried to dl and install with dpkg, ... which downloaded yet another copy from google. ... as fast as the nvidia driver, but a hell of a lot less hassle. ... motors more than 3 or 4 rpms with self generated steps. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: 2 pane, swiss army knife file manager?
    ... But if he compiled his own kernel correctly then he should be able to ... compile the nVidia driver for it. ... motor with its 200 millisecond long IRQ lockouts. ... nouveau driver which is used when you install the the distro you ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Probably stupid question, but
    ... olde time Red Hat users expect to install exotic apps ... I'm running 13.04 and the nVidia driver, ... since Ubuntu is FAR more liberal ... the package clearly fails, or cannot be obtained any other way. ...
    (Ubuntu)