Re: [OT] ping Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au>

On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 21:45 +0000, g wrote:
do you recall date of message you posted with instructions on how you
spoof your email address?

if not, would you please post again.

i know several folks who are plagued with spam and need a good way to
eliminate it.

Not off the top of my head. To be clear, it's not spoofing, since it's
a real address, and one of my own.

I sign up twice, using two different email addresses. I set one of the
memberships to NOT send me any mail, I send to the list using this
public email address. This public email address accepts, but deletes
any mail that is set to it. Spammers who've harvested my address will
send to this address, and I'll never see it. The list lets me post
using this address, because it's joined up using it. Of course, I set
up the deleting feature after I joined.

I receive list mail from the other membership, to the other unpublic
address. Only the list server knows about this address. Theoretically,
no spammer would be know it, or be able to spam it, unless they crack
the member list. When I reply, I reply back using the public address

You use a similar technique with usenet. You join a newsgroup, and read
and write with it, using NNTP not your email address.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

  • Re: SORRY...forgot to add...
    ... for folks with large mailing lists it turns out to be inconvenient. ... I UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE SPAM, BUT AGAIN I SAY WHAT GOOD IS IT IF THEY ... BUT ALSO IT'S A BOTHER FOR THE RECIPIENTS WHO ... WOULD STOP MY MSGS FROM GETTING SENT OUT BECAUSE FO THE AMOUNT ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlookexpress)
  • Re: spam avoidance (was Re: cpu speed problem)
    ... I get no more that 1 spam message a week out of maybe a 1000 messages. ... bringing up, the separation of public and private mail, in general. ... And some communication does not belong on a public list. ... I read messages from the public lists. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: cobol data format!!! urgent!!!
    ... >No. Monty Python did a song: Spam, Spam, Spam. ... "Take Jakob Nielsen, Internet Usability Guru. ... Lists used to announce talks, ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 83, Issue 1
    ... Invitation to connect on LinkedIn ... grab a list and then spam people. ... By clicking on the https link at the bottom of my own message.I ... If those services mine email address' lists from the user accounts, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [ISN] Majordomo Could Mean Major Spam
    ... I suppose I should disclaim this by saying that I don't get spam at this ... > of 80 subject related emails a day from the two lists on bugtraq I want. ... Perhaps Majordomo is partly to blame. ... > using a little-known but documented feature in the Majordomo server ...
    (Security-Basics)