Re: su or sudo su?

Todd Zullinger <tmz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

James Mckenzie wrote:
Petrus de Calguarium <pgueckel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When I need root access, I used to use sudo su -.

This is plain wrong. The command should be sudo <command>.

And su - is a command. ;)
But this is, in most cases, redundant.

There's really nothing wrong with that command from a technical
standpoint.

The sudo command can be configured to do other things other than su - (like running a program or shell.) However, most admins just leave it to the default action.

Whether someone should have access to su via sudo is another matter,
something for the admin to configure.

True. Best Security Practices....

James McKenzie

  • Re: su or sudo su?
    ... When I need root access, I used to use sudo su -. ... This is plain wrong. ... The command should be sudo. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: su or sudo su?
    ... When I need root access, I used to use sudo su -. ... This is plain wrong. ... The command should be sudo. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [kde] su identification
    ... assumes that you wish to invoke the root account and will demand Root ... A user may ONLY sudo as allowed in the /etc/sudoers ... allowing a command with any parameters ... This config allows my normal user to do whatever he'd normally be able to ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Apple recommending anti-virus software for Macs?
    ... > To be ultra-safe with the 'rm' command, ... Not a bad idea for root, It would drive me nuts in my user account. ... downloads directory and executing it. ... That I type an EOF is a trivial difference versus 'sudo' exiting ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Sudo
    ... >> in as adminB, then the system sees adminB on the ... >> If userA is not in sudoers, ... >> The sudo command itself only works for that command. ...
    (alt.linux)