Re: Video drivers on a MacBook Pro 5,2 - update

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 1:16 PM, TortuXm++ <tortuxm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry for double posting, I had a little problem on my keyboard.

--
OK, thanks for the info. However, it turns out that my installation of
the nvidia drivers was not as succeful as I tought. After reboot my

I would prefer to have the nvidia drivers working so any suiggestions
for
a workaround will be greatly appreciated.

best,

The main problem I usually had when switching from nouveau to nvidia or
vice
versa is the fact that nouveau is built in the initrd so that KMS can be
used.

If you want to switch to nvidia, you have to blacklist nouveau, and then
re-
generate the initrd

Although I did blacklist nouveau, I didn't regenerate the initrd. Hopefully
that fixes it.

I *think* that the rpmfusion nvidia package already generated a
blacklist-nouveau
file in modprobe.d. I this is true, you'd just have to recreate the initrd
with dracut.

Here is the howto I found on rpmfusion :

http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia

That's useful. Thank you for the information!

/h

  • Re: Video drivers on a MacBook Pro 5,2 - update
    ... drivers and returning to nouveau things work again. ... I would prefer to have the nvidia drivers working so any suiggestions ... versa is the fact that nouveau is built in the initrd so that KMS can be ...
    (Fedora)
  • [opensuse] Follow-up question re nvidia/nouveau in initrd (was "Poor 12.1 Performance")
    ... In regard to our earlier discussion re the kernel modules nouveau and/or ... nvidia being inside the initrd: In my 3.0.3-1-desktop initrd on 11.4, ... I also see in dmesg that the nvidia module is loaded far down after root has ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Display just broke on me after an update
    ... to use Nvidia drivers one has to explicitly install them. ... nouveau kernel module gets "blacklisted" to prevent it from loading at boot. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Video drivers on a MacBook Pro 5,2 - update
    ... drivers and returning to nouveau things work again. ... I would prefer to have the nvidia drivers working so any suiggestions ... versa is the fact that nouveau is built in the initrd so that KMS can be ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Cant install nvidia drivers
    ... After I doing all you have ask me to do, I am still not able to get the nvidia drivers to work. ... you have to make sure that the "nouveau" drivers are not get loaded ... to get the nividia drivers install and then do a nvidia-xconfig to change it back to runlevel 5. ...
    (Fedora)