Re: Video drivers on a MacBook Pro 5,2 - update

Hmm, I'm still getting the same results. I followed the instructions above
but when I reboot, after the three blue bars have finished loading and
turned white, the bar starts flickering and eventually comes to a halt.
After that nothing happens. I go back to nouveau things work fine again. Any
further suggestions?

To help you further, what is needed is the content of your xorg log
file. To do that you just have to wait the flickering to stop, then to
log in as a user, copy the /var/log/Xorg.0.log somewhere you can find
it later.

Maybe you will find the answer in the file. If you don't, you could
post relevant errors. You should also look for errors in
your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, which is needed in order to tell Xorg to
use nvidia (although it should be generated by the kmod-nvidia package)

One thing to try before logging out is to do

lsmod | grep nouveau

to see if nouveau has been properly blacklisted. To use the nvidia
proprietary driver, you really need the nouveau module not to be in use.

If the nouveau driver is still loaded, this means it was either not
properly blacklisted, or you didn't run the initrd you re-created.

By the way, there is probably a list for rpmfusion users, where you
could find more information.

  • Re: Video drivers on a MacBook Pro 5,2 - update
    ... after the three blue bars have finished loading and ... the bar starts flickering and eventually comes to a halt. ... I go back to nouveau things work fine again. ... For a solution see the "Video drivers on a MacBook Pro 5,2" thread. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Freeze on update to natty with nvidia
    ... would blink every 10 seconds. ... I finally was able to see it was a nouveau ... install the evil, but functional, proprietary driver). ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Video drivers on a MacBook Pro 5,2 - update
    ... the bar starts flickering and eventually comes to a halt. ... I go back to nouveau things work fine again. ... what is needed is the content of your xorg log ... proprietary driver, you really need the nouveau module not to be in use. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Is nouveau default nvidia driver?
    ... 2012/4/5 Art Edwards <edwardsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... >> nouveau was there instead. ... It could be that the proprietary driver wasn't ... This was a dist-upgrade from maverick to natty. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Nouveau ??
    ... Where is the Compatibility list for Nvidia cards in Nouveau? ... not block the nVidia proprietary driver which can't do KMS. ... Nouveau pretty much works for all of the nVidia cards for 2d support. ...
    (Fedora)