Re: F13: ClamAV: Why does clamd not appear System>Administration>Services list?

On 10/22/2010 03:57 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was surprised, but why does clamd not appear
in the services list for activation?
I've never seen such a service, are you sure that there is meant to be one?
Well, that was what I was asking... it was odd because I thought
it was in the services list in F9, but you could be right, maybe it
never was! I guess I am getting a bit woozy with my memory
banks. :)

I got an email message saying that clamav to fix the freshclam
file in /etc/ and /etc/sysconfig/ so all is well.

To get clamd (clamav-server) working, I wrote a script to set up an
instance of it:
http://blog.christophersmart.com/2009/12/17/script-for-configuring-clamav-server-on-fedora/

I do hope there's a better way to do it, so if you know of/discover
one, please let us know
Side question: does anyone use clamav, is it recommended
or worth installing?

We use clamd at work to bulk scan files that come in, and it's useful
for integration into mail servers, etc.

clamscan is useful for fixing people's Windows machines :-)

-c
Thanks for confirming and the additional info!