Re: Multifunction printer with Linux support?

On 10/24/2010 12:52 AM, JD wrote:
On 10/23/2010 09:31 AM, Mauriat Miranda wrote:
On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Darlene Wallach
<freepalestin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Henrik Frisk<frisk.h@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Zoltan Hoppar<hopparz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
HI,

mine is an HP Deskjet F4180

Good to know, but I want a laser printer. HP 2727 does have linux
support but is getting terrible reviews. I think I'm going for a
Brother MFC-8370DN, it has drivers for both linux and osx.
I saw very good reviews for a Brother MFC-8680DN

http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=MFC8680DN

Costco has them:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11497614&whse=BD_827&topnav=bdoff&cat=30256&hierPath=74140*&lang=en-US

Have an 8480 networked. Haven't tested all the features on Linux.
Brother in the past has been good for me with Linux.
Brother told me they do not support Linux.
They do not provide the same UI apps to interact
with the printer for Linux as they do for Windows.
In fact I have not seen any apps from them for Linux.
That's why I always use the windows machine to do
scanning, saving, faxing and copying. I have a shared
folder on Windows, so whatever I save there is visible
to my Linux machine.
Try
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/index.html
. Brother don't provide all the UI stuff for Linux that they do for
Windows, but they do provide quite a bit of Linux support.

Steve

  • Re: What is a MVP?
    ... I made no claim about my person other than I worked as support for Unix ... Windows is like a platform. ... Do I consider you to be yet another Linux troll?.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Improvement in Freeview tuning functionality
    ... difficult in Windows too, of course, but, as my post and the following ... Sorry, but are you claiming that with all linux distros, etc, it isn't ... support to a limited number of models, ... The second method is to take all the installation mechanisms of the OS ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • RE: Windows 98 box is owned
    ... even though I still have to convert my wife and parents over to Linux, ... > longer have support in the future. ... Windows PC's require a lot of overhead to keep ... >>2) Install ZoneAlarm. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Ive dumped Linux and moved to Windows XP.
    ... > Presumably Windows own 'Add/Remove programmes' does not qualify? ... is that 3rd party support is king. ... apps at a time when everyone else kept their systems proprietary. ... And no, linux doesn't fulfill all of these requirements, ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Just Got Back From NAMM. Why so little Linux?
    ... Windows programs, well, maybe just a little, but there are so many ... supported under Linux, well, yeah, that's let me down. ... your software becomes sufficiently out of date you'll get no more support from the ... If you don't change your hardware or OS, ...
    (rec.audio.pro)