I want OO.o support, not Go-OO from Novell - Any statement from Fedora or RedHat?

Hi there,

I started using Linux back in ´99 or thereabouts. After a few years
and switching between several distros (including Caldera OpenLinux,
SuSE, and Sun Java Desktop System R2) I learned a few things:

1. That I liked Gnome more than KDE
2. That I hated Novell and its collaboration with Microsoft, along
with its endorsement and advocacy for "Mono" (a project always playing
catch-up with Microsoft´s .Net platform and as a side effect stealing
mindshare from Java).
3. That I prefer a company that doesn´t work against Java developers.

So, I ended up running Fedora. First a Fedora derivative (Blag) and
then Fedora 11. Then 12, and then 13. So far so good.

Now, having said that, I didn´t like the hysteria surrounding
OpenOffice.org, and I think Oracle will do an OK job advancing the
open source project going forward.

I also don´t trust Novell a single bit, and I think sooner rather than
later, they´ll end up polluting "LibreOffice" with Mono. I don´t want
that.

So, here I am, a happy Fedora user, but who´d like to continue using
OpenOffice.org. What chance is there (if any) of an end user like me
of influencing Fedora direction to keep supporting OpenOffice.org ?.
Who makes those kind of decisions? Has Fedora or RedHat made any
statement wrt OO.o going forward?.

Thanks
FC

  • Re: F8 and Staroffice8
    ... X and Java guys work out their own differences. ... Fedora includes IcedTea which is to all intents and purposes the Sun JRE ... software vendors to make their packages work with the latest Fedora. ... In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: F8 and Staroffice8
    ... If I have an application from outside Fedora on which I rely then before upgrading I'd check that it was going to work on the new version. ... In the second case you really can't expect Fedora to hold back on the latest version of something to maintain compatibility with out of distribution software. ... The good thing about this approach by Fedora is that the volume of Fedora users are usually pretty good at applying pressure to commercial software vendors to make their packages work with the latest Fedora. ... The X and Java guys have sorted out their differencs for the version of Java which is distributed with Fedora, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Java problem
    ... Political reasons. ... Java exists on a web page somewhere and it is ... happening is a Political fix where someone is using the Nvidia software ... Does "openSUSE 10.3" do what you want and need from Linux that Fedora ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Java problem
    ... You may install the Sun ... Fedora does only care about software, which is part of its distribution. ... about Sun java integration and customers have to pay for it. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: yum: How to downgrade openoffice 2.3 to 2.2.1?
    ... many folks try to use the java tools fedora supplies vs folks that dl and ... Fedora licensing guidelines does not allow software with non-free or ... It isn't "perfectly legal" to use patent infringing software if ...
    (Fedora)