Re: F12 -> F14 Preupgrade Issue

JB <jb.1234abcd <at>> writes:

Dave Cross <davorg <at>> writes:

Please modify /etc/grub.conf as below:
# hiddenmenu

I got your response by e-mail.
It took half an hour for me to see my post in the gmane reader (on the fedora
list it was seen immediatelly). Oh well, sleepy Sunday at gmane today :-)

Make one more change to to /etc/grub.conf again, so you can manage it easily
between the Preupgrade and your kernels (increase timeout to 20):

# hiddenmenu

Now back to the problem.

Give me outpt of:
# ls -al /boot/upgrade/
# ls -al /var/cache/yum/
# findfs UUID=f8a71551-f7b7-45ef-b1d8-057f4cf69482
# cat /boot/upgrade/ks.cfg

Make a backup of
# cp /etc/grub.conf /etc/grub.conf-backup

and then reduce number of Linux kernel boot items in the original to the first
two (2):
title Upgrade to Fedora 14 (Laughlin)
kernel /boot/upgrade/vmlinuz preupgrade
initrd /boot/upgrade/initrd.img
title Fedora (
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz- ro
root=UUID=f8a71551-f7b7-45ef-b1d8-057f4cf69482 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=uk rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initramfs-

I see you appended to your working regular kernel lines
How about appending it to your Preupgrade kernel line:
initrd /boot/upgrade/initrd.img

Give it a shot and reboot to start Preupgrade.

In the meantime I will take a look at your response data.

users mailing list

  • Re: F12 -&amp;amp;gt; F14 Preupgrade Issue
    ... It took half an hour for me to see my post in the gmane reader (on the fedora ... between the Preupgrade and your kernels: ... I see you appended to your working regular kernel lines ...
  • Preupgrade F10 to rawhide. Kernel panic (Revised)
    ... I didn't get a response yet, so perhaps I should have given more ... I ran the above preupgrade, and all seemed well, ... Kernel Panic not syncing. ... Try passing init= ...
  • How to repair a botched Fedora Preupgrade
    ... How to upgrade fedora 14 to fedora 15 when preupgrade fails ... Downloading everything it needs, all of your package upgrades, kernel, ... on an fc15 system! ...
  • Re: Preupgrade still sucks. Maybe sucks less, maybe sucks more.
    ... Why is preupgrade taking 4 times longer to upgrade a system ... it finally finished and I rebooted into the F15 kernel ... Poking around in emergency mode revealed that the F15 kernel ...
  • grub.cfg not updated during preupgrade
    ... I recently upgraded F16->F17 using preupgrade. ... Kernel panic with a lot of stuff about missing files (mdadm, sh, ... F17 3.4 from updates-testing and the problem appears to have gone away, ...