Re: Distributing a Fedora appliance

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 10:59:04 -0300,
 Fernando Cassia <fcassia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Mike Wohlgemuth <mjw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If someone asks, I will provide the source. I don´t believe anywhere in the
GPL it makes the explicit requirement to upload the sources to a public web
server.

From: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html

3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under
 Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1
 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

   a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source
     code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2
     above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
   b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to
     give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically
     performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the
     corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections
     1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
   c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to
     distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only
     for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in
     object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with
     Subsection b above.)

Note that since Fedora distributes under clause a (see:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2009-September/037703.html)
you can't use clause c to pass on the offer that Fedora doesn't make.

Are trying to tell me that I should install al srpms inside the VM?.

Are then all images on virtualboximages.org in defiance of the
GPL?.Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

When lawyers trump common sense, it´s the time that I stop.

FC