dd question

I have a binary file with data. Each block of 48 bytes is a record. I
want to extract the first 8 bytes within each record. I'm thinking this
should be possible with dd, but gawk, perl - anything goes. It just has
to be fast, because the data files are ~ 1Gb.

I can do this in C++ but I was just wondering if it can be done with
existing well tested tools.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

  • Re: How to improve extracting data speed
    ... Yong Wang wrote: ... > I have a program in C language to extract data from binary file. ... Python ultimately will ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Add a file into a WMA/WMV for later extraction?
    ... a specific WMV file and I want to add that binary metadata file into the WMV. ... a custom application will load the WMV and extract the binary file to ... does this mean I could only do this with a ASF and not a WMA ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.sdk)
  • Re: Command to extract data
    ... I have a binary file where I need extract data. ... I'm looking for any command to extract all data between 10H, ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Extraction of bits using unpack
    ... I am trying to extract some data from a binary file using unpack. ... system and parsing it on an x86 system. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)