Re: About programing, a general question

I'd go with python as the default language for anything
that doesn't require speed or access to the metal.
For a beginner, python has the bonus that
indentation is part of the syntax.

For speed, one can use C, fortran, java, C++ or assembly.
For access to the metal, one can use C, C++ or assembly.
With the right kind of linker tricks, I suspect one could also use fortran.

At my current job, I program in C and assembly for AVRs.
My first program here was in python.
It replaced a venerable perl program.
The venerable wouldn't run after a perl interpreter update.

Defaults aside, the choice of language can be strongly
influenced by the additives available.
Some of my current python code uses
a serial IO library and a GUI library.
Without them, I might have chosen differently.
Perl is noted for having lots of additives available.

--
Michael hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.

  • Industry profiles: Software tools: Exclusive to comp.databases.pick: Why python? (from 2000)
    ... "My first look at Python was an accident, and I didn't much like what I ... language called SNG for manipulating PNG ... Perl, of course, is the 800-pound gorilla of modern scripting languages. ... The design objective of fetchmailconf ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: Forth and Unix -- history
    ... Forth, as a language, gives you all the building blocks. ... So does FORTRAN, so does C, so does PERL, so does Python. ... to interface to some free library written in whatever language. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Recommend an E-book Meeting the Following Criteria (Newbie, Long)
    ... I know several programming languages namely Java, Perl and C in this order ... Now I'm wondering which Python book I should get as there are so many out ... I'd like to mostly concentrate on language features but some pointers ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Python or PHP?
    ... If it's one of the things for which Python ... every language here and there more ways to do something. ... you make Perl more complicated than it is:-D. ... Not the programmer. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Ruby vs. PHP
    ... done is checked out which versions of Perl, Python, YARV, Ruby, jRuby ... dynamic language to the seconds for the benchmark with gcc. ... YARV, Python, Perl and PHP have fairly close medians and the boxes are ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)