Re: About programing, a general question

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

This is an excellent book. We used it when I took the data structures
course for my masters degree. In retrospect, I would have preferred
Knuth, but this was and is a great book to learn data structures. At the
time, Pascal was hot, and as I mentioned before it is a good language to
teach these concepts. But, it would drive me crazy at work when I would
see a C program written by a Pascal programmer :-). Actually, Knuth is
the Bible, and Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs is the prayer book.

Another issue for the OP is where you want to use the skills you learn.
If you learn Python, but want to write code for the Android, then maybe
Java might be the way to go. But, simply to learn a programming
language^<
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithms_%2B_Data_Structures_%3D_Programs#cite_note-0

, Python is relatively easy and well documented. If you are going to be
a system admin person then scripting languages such as Perl, CShell, and
BASH scripts might be useful.

I have taught C at a local University, and one group of people learned
very well and another group really hated it.

--
Jerry Feldman

Nice.

--

Regards,
Parshwa Murdia

  • Re: GMP vs. straight C arithmetic
    ... ordinary data structures that don't impose an additonal performance ... Side-effects are another crucial part of the language. ... > Take the tree structure example I gave earlier. ... determined at compile time, is this a compile time error? ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Alleged Relational Stumper
    ... Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote: ... trees are physical data structures. ... A poster with a car is logical structure of that car. ... Stick a relational query language on top of your favorite language ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: Factor
    ... emphasis on idiomatic programming is the greatest challenge. ... it sure is nice when a language gives you a rich and ... flexible set of data structures and algorithms that are designed so ... There is no reason to believe that my implementation of lists is ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: why learn C?
    ... programming beginner. ... Any language that allows subroutines is procedural based. ... you can learn about algorithms and data structures ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: looking for name for data structure
    ... it is God's gift to data structures when clarity is more important than ... Ofor ordinary arrays. ... ML-like toy language that provided FArrays instead of lists and arrays. ...
    (comp.programming)