Re: Thoughts of a user

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Beartooth <beartooth@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 08:55:19 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
       [....]
Intel is famous for their poor quality video drivers for Linux.  Just
run Wine with notepad and you will have some idea on what I am talking
about.  Some of the more famous games that were ported to Linux don't
work there either.  The recommended solution:  Get a video card with
high quality Linux drivers.  Right now nVidia is leading the pack.

       OK; but I don't speak hardware.

       So I launched my lshw-gui (not knowing a better way). But if it
sees any video card, it calls it something else. How do I check what I've
got in any given machine?

If you have a external video card then it should be listed under one
of the "PCI Bridge"[1] unless it is a really old AGP card.

Hope this helps.

[1] http://imagebin.org/129674

--
Suvayu

  • Re: Before I give up....
    ... I have an AGP FX5200 video card. ... Examine the motherboard for leaking capacitors. ... I use Knoppix (a Linux ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: OT: a Win XP "trap for amateurs"?
    ... the OS and about a dozen video card & motherboard apps. ... Now the 2 GB Win-XP partition is bursting at the seams and I want to expand it. ... A Linux user here. ...
    (sci.electronics.misc)
  • Re: Windows Assembly
    ... Then it blames what is bad on video card manufactures with this: ... If presuming things makes you feel better about the death of children or the current state of graphics support in Linux, then just go right on presuming. ... like DirectDraw and DirectThis and DirectThat. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: OT: a Win XP "trap for amateurs"?
    ... the OS and about a dozen video card & motherboard apps. ... Now the 2 GB Win-XP partition is bursting at the seams and I want to expand it. ... A Linux user here. ... Am in similar situation, the 'one that has to be obeyed' is on XP, worse, she heard the word 'Vista' somewhere, and not one of mine computers has the power of the _must have_ video card for this animal. ...
    (sci.electronics.misc)
  • Re: Text editor recommendations
    ... considering that I'm a TOTAL newbie to linux and having JUST ... migrated from MS Windows Vista Business where I was using notepad.. ... especially vim), but don't do it now and sacrifice productivity. ...
    (Ubuntu)