Re: xmms only playing mp3 as root

On 01/01/2011 03:23 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
On Friday 31 December 2010 17:45:14 Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 18:41:35 +0200, Johan wrote:
On 12/31/2010 05:20 PM, Rick Sewill wrote:
For me, when I am logged in, as a normal user, I do have a file,
~/.xmms/config, and the line in my file is
output_plugin=/usr/lib64/xmms/Output/libxmms-pulse.so
Which is the Pulse Audio output plugin for XMMS, which is only available
if you install the "xmms-pulse" package. That one is not installed by
default when installing the "xmms" package.
I can't help wondering why is this so? Pulseaudio is the default sound server
on Fedora, and xmms should include the xmms-pulse by default, and prefer to
use pa over alsa, also by default.

As xmms is configured now, it uses alsa by default, which gets rerouted to pa
(via the alsa-pulseaudio plugin in pa), which uses alsa as a backend for
playback. From my perspective, this is plain stupid, xmms should just use pa
natively, and eliminate the alsa-pa-plugin. It is an unnecessary overhead,
IMO. And it also breaks the volume slider for xmms...

So what am I missing here? Is it time to bug the xmms maintainers/packagers?

Best, :-)
Marko

Sorry Marko, this far beyond me. Johan

  • Re: unsubscribe
    ... yum update having problems with xmms ... Re: Mozilla rpm ... Re: Poll: Customized Fedora ... this fix manually (fetch it and install it); ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Linux audio player
    ... >> Methinks you malaign xmms without looking at its menus at all. ... >> stuff and install it seperately from the xmms install. ... > also use the library window to burn to CD, ... As to the mp3 support, it is not included in most distro today because ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Ranter or evangelist?
    ... applications that inform Gnome that they're available as a CDDA handler. ... One that's capable of playing CDs, as opposed to one that isn't. ... Will you get XMMS working or will we use RhythmBox? ... install, I'm sure I had to add it, myself. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: xmms only playing mp3 as root
    ... Which is the Pulse Audio output plugin for XMMS, ... if you install the "xmms-pulse" package. ... default when installing the "xmms" package. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: xmms only playing mp3 as root
    ... if you install the "xmms-pulse" package. ... default when installing the "xmms" package. ... I thought, somewhere, I read, your xmms was looking for /dev/dsp. ... Copied from root to user and all is well. ...
    (Fedora)