Partially solved -- Re: Nautilus issues F14

On 01/07/2011 05:10 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 12:21 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
On 01/07/2011 08:43 AM, Greg Woods wrote:
On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 07:54 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

I just checked on a test server I set up yesterday morning. It does not
have Nautilus under Applications -> System Tools either.
I'm on F14 too. If I open most things under Places (such as "Home" or
"Computer") it runs Nautilus.
Yes.
But when I
start a copy of Nautilus from say the Desktop (eg my Home), it has the
Side Pane and F9 works. So I something is messed up on my notebook.
Under "View", does it have an option to enable the Side Pane? Mine does,
and the side pane is not enabled unless I check the box for it.
No it does not. At least not any more. I **THINK** it had it the first
time I opened it, then I made my 'standard' changes to come up in list
rather than icon mode, not to open a new window on every folder click,
and to allow for real delete. I closed Nautilus, without really looking
at it, then opened it again and NO side view and NO way to enable it.

I was wondering if it might be some hidden file controlling this? One
of the config control files that Gnome has so many of...

I am not sure what is happening on you machine. But clicking on Side
Pane under view produces a side pane on my machine. As does F9.
And I have NOTHING to click on. There is NO 'Side Pane' under view.

It is GONE. It was there when I first installed, but something caused
it to go away.

On the Gnome list, it was recommended that I create a new user and see
if that user has the same problem.

GOOD Recommendation to create a new user to trouble shoot this!

So did this. And logged on as the new user and clicked on 'Computer' on
the desktop. There was the side pane!

Then I went into preferences and did my standard changes, switching to
selecting 'list view', 'Open each folder in its own Window', and
'Include Delete command that bypasses Trash'. I closed Nautilus and
clicked on 'Computer' again and the side pane was GONE! Oh boy.

So I went into preferences and deselected 'Open each folder in its own
Window', closed and opened Nautilus and the side pane was back.

I think I have found a bug????

So I went to a system that is running F12, and I see the option in the
same place is called: 'always open in browser windows', and I have this
selected. I went to my ONE F13 system, and it behaves the same as F14.
So I guess this is NOT a bug, but a change between F12 and F13, carried
over to F14...

I still want to have Nautilus on the Applications panel as well as on
the panel itself.

  • Re: Good Bye FC5
    ... The changes in GNOME and Nautilus are the main reasons why I'm sticking ... keep everything in one window like the older Shrike versions and not ... panes, with the left pane doubling as a preview pane....stupid. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Nautilus issues F14
    ... "Computer") it runs Nautilus. ... Side Pane and F9 works. ... I was wondering if it might be some hidden file controlling this? ... To unsubscribe or change subscription options: ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Safely Remove Drive needed twice
    ... My employers allow email access, but not internet. ... I don't have a left pane in Nautilus. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Wie Side Pane im Nautilus anzeigen?
    ... Es fehlt aber der Dateibaum in der linken pane. ... In der Hilfe zum Nautilus steht, man kann die linke pane einschalten ... dann listet es mir keinen Eintrag 'Side Pane' auf. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.apps.gnome)