I love you testdisk!
- From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 08:37:18 -0600
Just wanted to plug testdisk in case others end up in the same situation.
I have F14 installed on my work laptop. IT doesn't really have a
problem with it but asked that I use NTLDR rather than grub (or use
NTLDR to bootstrap GRUB).
Somehow during the "dd"ing of the bootsector I messed up my partition
table and lost everything (or so I thought).
Using System Rescue CD I tried a few different things like:
- Resetting up the partition manually which failed as I couldn't
remember the exact geometry.
- Using sfdisk
Then I found a page online about testdisk. I wouldn't have thought by
the name it was what I was looking for but it turns out it's exactly
what I needed.
It was able to find and recover my XP partition (sda1) but Fedora was
gone. No big deal as I don't keep any important data on it so a fresh
install and I'm back in business.
I think where I went wrong was when I installed GRUB to the /boot
partition. I must have had a setting/option wrong.
Now I have NTLDR bootstrap loading GRUB and everything works as expected.
users mailing list
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
- Prev by Date: Re: java problem
- Next by Date: Kernel panic during FC14 install
- Previous by thread: audio config: split a 5.1 output into 3x independent stereo outputs
- Next by thread: Re: I love you testdisk!