Re: Installation Impressions

On Sat, 2011-02-05 at 09:39 -0800, suvayu ali wrote:
Fedora uses a patched version of GRUB Legacy. It can read / partitions
on LVM but the /boot partition still needs to be ext* on disk.

Hmm, isn't it more the case that the *kernel* reads the LVM partitions?

GRUB starts loading the kernel, which is in the /boot partition. From
then on, it's the kernel doing the work, GRUB has passed the baton on.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

  • Re: booting linux using a floppy
    ... which kernel of the list to boot from. ... Note that this will at this point remove your ability to boot into windows. ... I think I recall that you said the grub loader... ... and grub will search for a partition containing grub's stage2 file ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade
    ... GRUB stage1. ... The stage1 goes in boot sector of system root partition. ... sda6=/1st SUSE install ... and kernel as defined for selected menu item. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: LiILO in eigener kleiner Boot-Partition?
    ... (falls der Kernel eine initrd benutzt). ... Die beiden anderen Werte hängen vom zu bootenden Linux ab. ... und diese initrd zusammen mit LILO oder GRUB und wohin kommen dann die ... /boot Partition plaziert werden sollen? ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: Grub config
    ... > so I created a logical partition and installed it there. ... > I've tried various combinations of telling grub where to find these ... > things, with the explicit partition for kernel and initrd, and fiddling ... install grub onto your system. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Grub Manual
    ... I have digested what you all have said and applied it to the small file I wrote on the Grub Manual. ... Please no more about what is root. ... Many people keep the entire Linux in one partition and in that case both of the root point to the same partition. ... Your computer often wants to use the name of the kernel. ...
    (Fedora)