RE: Virtual Box & Windows -

http://www.sysprobs.com/physical-virtual-virtualbox-virtualbox-p2v

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA

Thanks Claude, I spent some time with that yesterday after
reading this but that page is pretty hard to follow. Poor
example images that are different than I see? I will have
another go at it and let you know if it works for me.

If you want to go virtual, it's easy enough to do with the imaging programs
clonezilla or Acronis.

First, it's probably a good idea to create a backup image with clonezilla or
Acronis so you can put it back the way it was if it all goes wrong.

Then, in XP open the Add/Remove Programs control panel and remove all your
drivers: video card, sound card, chipset, etc. If you're familiar with
Sysprep, run this next and shut down.

Now, boot with your image program and create the backup again of this
stripped down, sysprepped XP.

Then create your VM and its virtual drive, and restore the stripped down
image to the virtual drive.

It might work fine without using Sysprep since XP should have drivers for
the virtual hardware in the VM. Just don't try to use 'virtio' hardware
until the VM is up and running.

  • Re: Question on Virtual PC
    ... In particular, no chipset drivers, and no video card ... If I wanted to run Windows 98 under Virtual PC, ... Windows 98se typically detects the generic virtual hardware just fine, ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • RE: Adding Sata-support on an universal image for zti? [Solved]
    ... Then i built a sysprep.inf with the sysprep -bsmd flag to populate the ... 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller ","disk1" ... have read im supposed to add the drivers to sysprep.inf. ... would expect since the drivers isnt really there yet). ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
  • Re: Getting Multiple Desaktop Models to work with same OSD WIM Image
    ... (using the OSD capture wizard which starts sysprep). ... the other mass storage drivers before I place the SMS Image capture CD ... not having a list of mass storage controllers. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.tools)
  • Re: sysprep.inf and drivers problem
    ... I like the option where you can specify which OU to put the workstation on ... when joining it to the domain... ... particular OU base on the computer name during sysprep? ... During minisetup you can press SHift+F10 to verify the drivers really ...
  • Re: XP SP2 Sysprep - drivers not installed during mini-setup wizard?
    ... as it detects the new hardware. ... Adding new drivers to support new hardware. ... I then add the updated drivers as I did in my testing and did a sysprep ... sysprep in order to install the the updates from Microsoft though. ...