Re: Changing Owner on a backup drive

On 04/04/2011 07:38 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 04/04/2011 08:24 PM, Craig White wrote:
On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 07:20 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 21:41 -0400, Jim wrote:
Fedora 14

I have a backup drive at sdb1 a Vfat (fat32) partition a USB hard drive
that before upgrading from Fedora 13 to Fedora 14 , the owner was
Michael , but after upgrade it is now owned by root. all the backup
files are Linux files.

The drive is mounted at /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup from /etc/fstab and is
only readable by Michael.

How do I change the owner back to Michael , the chown command is not
permitted.

Chown can't be done as root?
----
the files are owned by whomever 'mounted' the drive. If root mounts the
drive, then the files are owned by root. If Michael mounts the drive,
then Michael is the owner.

My goodness.....

It is a vfat formated drive. It is being done with an entry in /etc/fstab.

Hasn't anyone heard of "mount options"? Specifically, uid=value and
gid=value :-)
Which essentially was my reply to the OP.