Solved: Changing Owner on a backup drive

On 04/03/2011 10:16 PM, JD wrote:
On 04/03/2011 06:41 PM, Jim wrote:
Fedora 14

I have a backup drive at sdb1 a Vfat (fat32) partition a USB hard drive
that before upgrading from Fedora 13 to Fedora 14 , the owner was
Michael , but after upgrade it is now owned by root. all the backup
files are Linux files.

The drive is mounted at /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup from /etc/fstab and is
only readable by Michael.

How do I change the owner back to Michael , the chown command is not
permitted.

Unmount the drive, then
Change your fstab as follows:
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup vfat
uid=TheUIDyouWant,gid=TheGIDyouWant,user,rw,sync 0 0

The sync option is up to you. I use it because USB itself is not a very
reliable connection.

Remount the drive.

That solved the problem JD thanks much.