Re: Barcode reader f14=no win=yes

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 07:21 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo
<nospaze@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 07:45 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 10:56 +0200, Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:
I got a new barcode reader, but it doesn't work (does in any Win box).
Am I missing something? Loading any USB keyboard module? (cant guess
any).

What does "It doesn't work" mean? It returns bad data? it returns no
data? something crashes? it just sits there and never responds? what?
Presumably you're trying to use it with some application, but you don't
say. Neither do you mention the brand and model (the dmesg dump just
says "generic"), which might mean something to someone.

Patrick, maybe u missed the rest of my message, with the dmesg output.
Dmesg throws an error when plugging the keyboard (its a barcode reader).
THen... does nothing. It has energy (laser turns and beeps on when
unique button is pressed). But does not generate any keytyping.

Even though this looks like a keyboard, does it need Windows drivers
to function?

Nope. Just pluggin it in any win box (tried XP, Vista, 7). Not debian,
not fedora (though in any mailing list modprobe usbkbd is mentioned to
get it working in debian, which now does not exist now, usb-hid is
included in debian/fedora kernel now).
Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo - nospaze@xxxxxxxxx
otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962

  • Re: Macbook pro re-mapping single key
    ... Debian 6 as single boot, ... to has only the left Alt key instead of two. ... I tried to configure the keyboard with the graphical interface but I ... Create keybindings to switch from one to the ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Suse is the best
    ... How different is Gentoo from Ubuntu or Debian? ... that if I disable the boot on graphic I can not run the gnome GUI by ... wrong keyboard but at least they use a QWERTY keyboard. ... rescue to partition a hard disk so I could install PC Dos, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Install USB mouse, lose keyboard
    ... Dual boot Windows and Debian, ... Keyboard and mouse work fine. ... Shut down, no power down, reboot. ... Debian boots with a few messages, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: USB-to-PS/2 adaptor: mouse works, keyboard doesnt
    ... I'm a new Debian user. ... I use a PS/2 keyboard and a USB mouse that I connect to the laptop ... Boot Windows XP. ... Plug in USB-to-PS/2 adaptor with mouse and keyboard attached to it. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Keyboard text - how get basic encoding? Not US-Intl? "%20" not space. Where change after
    ... Debian does not have an "alternate" installer. ... widgets are displayed really changes) is the selection of keyboard map. ... As Eduardo rightly says, your problem is a non-issue for the ...
    (Debian-User)