Re: How to install Apache web server in Fedora 14? Can yum be used for installing?

On 13 April 2011 12:01, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Varuna Seneviratna wrote:

I started the service But I had to log on as root.

Um, not really.  Well, that rather depends on what *you* mean by
"logging on."

You only need to do "su -" (in the command line of your normal login) to
be allowed to start the webserver, then a "service httpd start" command,
and then you can go back to being yourself, once it's started.

 [tim@gonzales ~]$ su -
 Password:
 [root@gonzales ~]# service httpd start
 Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
 [root@gonzales ~]# exit
 logout

This is exactly what I did Tim and it is to the above procedure that I
referred to have had to login as root

If you start it up from one of the configuration GUIs, it'll ask you to
enter the root password, just to use that GUI.  Again, you only need to
be logged in as yourself.

What is the or are the configuration GUis that are included with
fedora 14 or can be installed?

If you plan to do a lot of web development work, you might configure the
service to it always starts itself each time you boot up.

1 How to Do web Development, I am not able to(not allowed) save any
.html or any other file in the directory /var/www/html Do I have to
logged in as root to Do web Development?

No, you don't.  However, you're going to have to change some things,
first.

While still the root user, you change the ownership of /var/www/html to
yourself.

How Am I able to change the ownership of the /var/www/html through the
terminal when logged in as root?

While still the root user, you can reconfigure the webserver to use a
different directory, one that is owned by yourself (such as a
sub-directory placed inside /var/www/html.

While I am the root user How is it possible to configure the webserver
to use a different directory through the terminal?

2 Am I safe from outside intrusion when running the Web Server bound to port 80

No.  Whether you're safe, or not, depends on other factors.  Is there a
firewall on your ISP or your modem router, between the outside world and
your computer?  Are you running a firewall on your computer?  Those are
the things that will stop outsiders from reaching it.

As usual the Firewall that comes with fedora is enabled.But what I am
not aware of is that when an webserver is listinig on port 80 is it
accessible to outside parties?

NB:  Don't top post on this list.  Write your replies below the bits of
someone's messages that you're replying to, as I've done.

I am sorry If I inconvenienced you guys by doing top posting.I typed
where the curer appeared when the reply link was clicked on the Gmail
inbox.I hope i have now corrected that error

Also, I see you've got your own address in the "reply-to" header, this
means that you will be sent a reply, directly, as well as a reply that
has come through the list.  If you want that, fine.  Otherwise, remove
your address from the reply-to headers.

What you say is True But I don't get two copies I don't know why?
--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.  I
read messages from the public lists.

  • The value of tracing: Enabling sound in Fedora 8
    ... Like some other folk sound didn't work for me out of the box. ... First thing to try was to unmute (F8 has "alsaunmute" command!) ... That worked but for root but didn't work for non-root. ... and then I compared the two lists. ...
    (comp.unix.admin)
  • Re: change login screen
    ... The screen resolution? ... it doesn't let you log in graphically as root. ... solution is, usually, to log in as yourself, then "su -" in the command ... read messages from the public lists. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [SLE] Enabling printing??
    ... On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 09:43 -0400, Rich Goodwin wrote: ... > I played with the firewall settings but have not enabled printing. ... Try lpstat -t (as root) to see the status of all configured printers. ... Try rccups restart from the command line to see if any startup ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Apple recommending anti-virus software for Macs?
    ... > To be ultra-safe with the 'rm' command, ... Not a bad idea for root, It would drive me nuts in my user account. ... downloads directory and executing it. ... That I type an EOF is a trivial difference versus 'sudo' exiting ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: [ squeeze ] Grub2 RAID1 LVM2 boot failure
    ... insmod mdraid ... That UUID it's not the same that grub will use for boot. ... the `root` partition from the point of view of grub is the partition ... BTW this command is undocummented in the wiki, ...
    (Debian-User)